I never break strings any more

What's Hot
I realised recently that, other than when I had a dodgy locking tuner on a strat that used to break the high E at the tuner, I haven't broken a string in years. 20+ years ago it would be a regular occurrence, but despite being main a trem player, enthusiastic use of Floyds etc, they just don't break. Anyone else experience similar? What's the deal here, are strings better than they used to be? Are my guitars better set up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    I'd assume decent guitars set up well.  I have had no issues with breaking strings throughout most of the time I've played guitar - probably not really since I moved on from my first guitar tbh. 
  • Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing last night... I've had exactly one string break in the past 10 years, and that wasn't while playing (tuned/detuned the same set about 10 times in succession to fix a wiring issue on a charvel, where you need to take the neck off to get the pickguard out  :s ).

When I was a teenager, it was one broken string every two rehearsals...

My explanation is:

- better quality hardware on my guitars now versus early-2000s Epiphones
    - I know how to set up a guitar now, and they usually end up taking a little trip to Feline anyway so dodgy nuts/saddles are usually seen to
    - less bashing out punk tunes enthusiastically, at unruly volumes, in a haze of beer and weed... :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing last night... I've had exactly one string break in the past 10 years, and that wasn't while playing (tuned/detuned the same set about 10 times in succession to fix a wiring issue on a charvel, where you need to take the neck off to get the pickguard out  :s ).

When I was a teenager, it was one broken string every two rehearsals...

My explanation is:

- better quality hardware on my guitars now versus early-2000s Epiphones
    - I know how to set up a guitar now, and they usually end up taking a little trip to Feline anyway so dodgy nuts/saddles are usually seen to
    - less bashing out punk tunes enthusiastically, at unruly volumes, in a haze of beer and weed... :)

Seconded (though I mainly go to Denmark St for convenience).

My playing style now is far more sensitive and less aggressive than when I wanted to MAKE AS MUCH NOISE AS POSSIBLE.

• I haven't broken a string in absolutely ages. Having just put some Not Even Slinky on my LTD EC that are like stair-rods I'm not sure they can even break. 

I remember being so poor in my 20s I'd break a string and have to do without it for weeks. But it helped me learn note positions on other strings. 

• Having said that, much like the "P word" rule when cycling, we're all going to break a string tonight. It will be a high E, will fly straight into our eyeballs and we'll end up in a covid-infested A&E ward.

Thanks, @Richardrichard ;

Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    not since I stopped using slinkys
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    I just broke a string this weekend - was using D'Addario EXL150's on a 12 string and as soon as I tuned the G octave up to pitch... it broke. It was an 8 gauge which makes it the thinnest in the set.

Luckily I had a spare 9 from a Rotosound set that I put on.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    A few years back I started getting strings breaking at the bridge. I folded a wee bit of wetndry paper and gave it a rub. Hadn't broke a string for decades before and haven't broke any since. Hardly ever change strings either. Can't remember the last time I bought new ones. Don't even remember what type they are. 
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    not for many years. Are strings getting better? Or guitars getting better? Or technique getting better? Or all three?
  • I literally can't remember if I've ever broken a strong while playing... definitely not during a gig...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Only strings I’ve broken in years turned out to be due to a burr on a Tele saddle. Apart from that, zip, zero, not a sausage, etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Not since I had a '90's Epiphone that would break strings at the bridge.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Hardly ever broken one..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    AFAIK if technique is OK, it's usually caused by rough edges on nut or bridge hardware, so those edges would soften with time (or in a pro setup with a bit of 600+ grade paper)
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    I haven't broken a string in absolutely ages. Having just put some Not Even Slinky on my LTD EC that are like stair-rods I'm not sure they can even break. 

I remember being so poor in my 20s I'd break a string and have to do without it for weeks. But it helped me learn note positions on other strings. 
    The only string I broke was when I was 14. Didn’t have the money for a new set so purchased just the one string. It got home and it must have been a different gauge to the others, but I just cracked on. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My friend has an early P Bass .He bought it well used  and paint stripped off in 1964 and put a new set of  Fender strings on it .Thats it ..They are still on there and it sounds like a pBass.He did  Holts rattlecan it white .This was when Holts was just nitro.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I broke three different strings from three consecutive sets when I decided to try out some NYXLs a few years back. Apart from that, I've used Elixirs and not broken one in...actually, I can't remember breaking one at all, apart from one memorable day about 12 years ago when I was trying to bring the G string up to pitch but actually turning the peg for the B string.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Maybe broken 2 strings in over 50 years of playing.
  • Not for decades
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Me neith.......shit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom