If you could be any type of guitarist at any time in history...

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1084
... what would you be?

I think I would be a traveling guitarist in the States in the 50s with these new things called electric guitars before becoming a major session players in the 60s and then enjoying the fruits of my labor in the 70s and 80s writing and recording. Seems a simpler life.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I’d have liked to been in the backing band for Girls Aloud or perhaps All Saints 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited January 2021
    At the mo probably Robert Fripp, for a couple  of reasons
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Somewhere in between Billy Bauer and Grant Green ideally
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited January 2021
    PhilW1 said:
    At the mo probably Robert Fripp, for a couple  of reasons
    There a great couple.

https://youtu.be/khkKfMotNoI

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any era that would have involved slaying lots and lots of bitches  :)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Late 60s rock guitarist. Get stoned, turn some stupidly loud amp up full, improvise for twenty minutes and your audience think you're the Messiah.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    John Mayer would do me.
    Great guitarist and crumpet magnet.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12348
    One of the byrds for me. 
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    Love to have been one of the players down the 2is in Soho back in '58 or so.  A very exciting time to be involved in music I would think.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775

Early to mid '70s, in the era of endless guitar solos.  Maybe I could be the third guitarist in Wishbone Ash.

Or a few years later in the NWOBHM days, with studded wristbands, a Flying V copy and a terrible perm.

Definitely, definitely still British.  I don't think I'd ever have been comfortable being American.

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Can I be me but shacked up with that bird from The Cardigans?
  • Ideally would have been an eighteen year old guitarist living in San Francisco around 1967.

Lots of bands, drugs, good weather, hippies and old houses. Minimum responsibility, maximum fun.

And then graduated to session work in LA in the seventies followed by an illustrious career at Capitol Records in the eighties. Lots of bands, drugs, good weather etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    munckee said:
    One of the byrds for me. 
    One wouldn't be enough for me.
    That's the beauty of being a rock god. You get the pick of the bunch.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    ICBM said:
    Late 60s rock guitarist. Get stoned, turn some stupidly loud amp up full, improvise for twenty minutes and your audience think you're the Messiah.
    This..and bordering on very early 70s, loads of groupies, booze and drugs, no aids, and cheap vintage guitars!! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I would have liked to have been me but a decade earlier in a post-punk band. Like The Chameleons. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    I’d have liked to been in the backing band for Girls Aloud or perhaps All Saints 
    So, you want to be Danish Pete then? :)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    1920s for me. buy a Stella Jumbo and join a jug band.
     Probably take an electric toothbrush with me too
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I honestly don't think I would like to have been a rock star. I spent half my life trying to act like one (the s and d without the r and r) and it didn't turn out too good.
  • Filling in at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, 1955.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    A  Gitano  Flamenco  Guitarrista  living in Seville (Triana ) in the 1970s when the zenith of the genre was reached before the Latin infusion of later years .
    I would play the Tablaos and Penas with my mates like Paco Pena and Paco de Lucia and amaze them with my Rasguedo technique and they would only dream of being as good as me .I would be able to sing in perfect Canto Calo to any Bulerria 
    I would eat delicious Tapas ,drink Finos and have wild sex all night long with dark volatile Gypsy girls .