If you could be any type of guitarist at any time in history...

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    mid 70s rock band when they had swagger and balls. Not like the poncy bands of today.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Probably an obscure 70s fusion band, full on costumes ,nonsense lyrics and twenty seven minute opus works.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8786
    I guess I'd like to be Marc Ribot.  From any time beginning with his teaming up with Tom Waits in the early '80's.  Because he's about the coolest cat there is.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    A touring session musician - Get the credit within the industry - Tour the world with the biggest acts in the biggest venues - Yet the public don't know who I am - So I can still have a life outside work and be free from the hassle of stardom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    jeztone2 said:
    I would have liked to have been me but a decade earlier in a post-punk band. Like The Chameleons. 
    I was in a post-punk band. Sadly, it wasn’t The Chameleons. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    70s prog rock
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Session guitarist in the 80s LA music scene.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    edited January 2021
    If the question was who I most admired it would be Rev Gary Davis or Peter Green. But the question is who I would most like to have been and that would have to be Julian Bream. He seems to have enjoyed his life, put real emotion into his music and was very very good. I particularly like the story of how his preference was to be paid in cash and would sometimes leave concerts overseas with his pockets crammed full of cash. Genius musician, audiences loved him, instant rewards then come back for a few months for a rest. His only requirements whilst touring were one suitcase, his instrument, travel arrangements and somewhere to stay. What's not to like?!!

In a lot of cases I'm not sure I would have wanted the "rock star" lifestyle. I suspect in many (but not all!) cases it was put on for effect. Even at the height of their fame, many/most musicans avoid it. Reading Roger Daltry's autobiography last year I noticed he would avoid most of the shenanigans in The Who and this was his deliberate choice. Personally I believe the concept of continuing to be creative and enjoying life whilst getting through swathes of alcohol and drugs is complete nonsense. The music and the guitar is the thing. And the rewards of course.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I’d like to have been a prominent guitarist in the 60’s British blues explosion, earn enough money to then fade into obscurity and live the rest of my days in either Ireland or Italy. Can’t make up my mind on that one.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6987
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    Late 60s rock guitarist. Get stoned, turn some stupidly loud amp up full, improvise for twenty minutes and your audience think you're the Messiah.
    This..and bordering on very early 70s, loads of groupies, booze and drugs, no aids, and cheap vintage guitars!! 
    But they weren’t back then.  It was the equivalent of me lashing out on a 2010 Les Paul.

But yes, this is the era for me.  Preferably as the second guitarist in ZZ Top, those guys looked like they had the best time ever.  Being in Led Zeppelin would probably have killed me.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Probably a house guitarist for Stax or Muscle Shoals, would have worked with some amazing folks. OR in Beefheart's band, early years. He probably would have put me in an asylum but hey-ho.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited January 2021
    I'd be one of the big LA Sessioners in the 80s like Steve Lukather, Dann Huff or Tim Pierce.

Lots of work on massive hits, and my sort of music, that you were allowed to put your stamp on and that still bring in recording artist points and royalties for them e.g. Thriller album 

I also wouldn't mind being either Scott Gorham or Robbo on the Thin Lizzy Live & Dangerous tour
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Has to be Eric Clapton so 60s ‘British Invasion’ blues rock guitarist
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited January 2021
    In an indie band at the turn of the 90’s. Loads of sweaty gigs to moshing, doc martened teens. Tons of fx pedals, walls of noise, lights. The initial rise of the band from obscurity is exhilarating. As the band grows, go to parties, hang out with Miki from Lush, guest appearance on the Mary Whitehouse Experience.

One night popping a pill in the Hacienda changes life. Dance elements come in to the songs and the band’s clubbing every weekend. Riding high in press, a live appearance in The Word, an NME cover is the pinnacle. Then follows months of partying and clubbing, during which the recording of the 2nd album keeps being delayed.... things get dark, band relationships get frayed.. some want to go full on dance.... others want to go 60’s pop... The 2nd album is a terrible, a flop, panned by the NME and MM, gig audiences vanish. As Britpop takes hold, the band has a violent argument in an M6 motorway service station and split up. After rehab, I move to a remote cottage in the Welsh hills, only making the odd open mic appearance in the local. Success was brief, but enough tales or a lifetime. The book is in the works. 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Marty Mcfly
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    In an indie band at the turn of the 90’s. Loads of sweaty gigs to moshing, doc martened teens. Tons of fx pedals, walls of noise, lights. The initial rise of the band from obscurity is exhilarating. As the band grows, go to parties, hang out with Miki from Lush, guest appearance on the Mary Whitehouse Experience.

One night popping a pill in the Hacienda changes life. Dance elements come in to the songs and the band’s clubbing every weekend. Riding high in press, a live appearance in The Word, an NME cover is the pinnacle. Then follows months of partying and clubbing, during which the recording of the 2nd album keeps being delayed.... things get dark, band relationships get frayed.. some want to go full on dance.... others want to go 60’s pop... The 2nd album is a terrible, a flop, panned by the NME and MM, gig audiences vanish. As Britpop takes hold, the band has a violent argument in an M6 motorway service station and split up. After rehab, I move to a remote cottage in the Welsh hills, only making the odd open mic appearance in the local. Success was brief, but enough tales or a lifetime. The book is in the works. 
    I think I know you? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Mayall/Yardbirds then wherever that took me. Failing that the Marc Ford spot in the Black Crowes. As above just loads of soloing and debauchery.. what's not to like? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• A major 80s glam metal /sleaze rock guitarist with shred chops,  like George Lynch ,Reb beach ,Nuno , Steve Lynch ,warren de martini, Carlos cavazo   Or a blend of Ron Wood , Joe Perry ,Slash ,Gilby Clarke ,Izzy stradlin , Stacy Blades .  On sunset strip 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    To be honest, as long as there's enough sex and drugs I could do without the rock n roll. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I’ve always wanted to play guitar with Earth Wind & Fire 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom