Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boot recommendations

What's Hot
After walking the dog in the torrential rain that Manchester inflicted on us yesterday, I have to accept that my faithful four-year old Rockports have given up the ghost and the seams have pretty much given out.

What's good these days? I'm not looking for hiking boots, more like all-purpose footwear. Cost isn't really a consideration if the quality is there.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I'm looking at some new boots as well and trying to decide if I can justify the cost of the red wing boots that seem to be top of the list or save a little and get something by timberland.

I suspect there are good cheaper options that look good and are practical. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    John_P said:
    I'm looking at some new boots as well and trying to decide if I can justify the cost of the red wing boots that seem to be top of the list or save a little and get something by timberland.

Stay away from timberland, their quality and sales support are shite these days.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    Just as an alternative, how about something from here: Town & Country Boots from William Lennon & Co Ltd (rufflander.co.uk)

Bit of a lead time sadly, but people I know who have boots from them, rave about them. I will probably order myself a pair once I'm in my new place.

Or another choice could be something like this: Leather Lace Up Boots - Handmade by Conker Shoes since 1977

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I got some CAT boots a wee while ago. Been wearing them a while and they seem solid, if a little heavy. About 50quid. 
  • zepp76 said:
    John_P said:

Stay away from timberland, their quality and sales support are shite these days.

Yep...Timberland are off the menu for me. I had a US-made pair about 30 years ago and they were awesome, but their replacements were made in China and they fell apart within a year or so.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    edited January 2021
    Redwing 6" Moc boots. Last forever, and you can get them resoled by Redwing should you need it. Roughhouse version has a commando sole. 
    Redwing Beckman or Blacksmith boots - same as above.

they might be 220-250 quid a pair, but they are bulletproof and last forever. Plus, they look great. Once broken in, you can walk forever in them.
    All the redwings are triple welted which means they are solidly made and can be properly resoled and retain all the build quality of the original boot. I've got two pairs of Redwings, both over 6 years old, plenty of mileage on them and they are good as new. I've worn them for days on end, walking round cities 10-15 miles a day, for long weekends, no problem. 

Cheaper, but still good - Blundstone 500 boot. Different style, but v tough and comfortable and again, look good. About 120-140 quid. 

Danner make cracking boots too. 

Good shoes & boots are something worth spending good money on and are worth every penny. IMO
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I quite like merrell gore tex walking trainers for general walking.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    I paid quite a bit for some Goretex Clarks boots which fell to bits fairly rapidly.

I've got a pair of these which have lasted for ages and are smart enough that you can wear them to the office if you need to etc.

• Might be worth your while considering hiking style boots. I like Scarpa boots, which I mainly use for gardening. I mostly wear the lighter weight suede look ones, which are good enough for anything other than really wet or muddy conditions, in which case I've got heavier weight solid leather ones to wear.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    Redwing here too. Mine are over 10 years old and tough as, er, old boots.

I've had one resole so far, £100 via the London shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:
    Redwing 6" Moc boots. Last forever, and you can get them resoled by Redwing should you need it. Roughhouse version has a commando sole. 
    Redwing Beckman or Blacksmith boots - same as above.

they might be 220-250 quid a pair, but they are bulletproof and last forever. Plus, they look great. Once broken in, you can walk forever in them.
    All the redwings are triple welted which means they are solidly made and can be properly resoled and retain all the build quality of the original boot. I've got two pairs of Redwings, both over 6 years old, plenty of mileage on them and they are good as new. I've worn them for days on end, walking round cities 10-15 miles a day, for long weekends, no problem. 

Cheaper, but still good - Blundstone 500 boot. Different style, but v tough and comfortable and again, look good. About 120-140 quid. 

Danner make cracking boots too. 

Good shoes & boots are something worth spending good money on and are worth every penny. IMO

All correct. I bought my fiancée some Blundstone's and myself some Redwing Sawmills at the beginning of winter (we live in Sweden) and.. the heel tag ripped off my Redwings immediately. Got a refund in the end, a shame! 
  • Redwing seems to be the leader of the pack here. Their UK shop seems to be out of the sizes I want in the styles I like but they do seem to be available on Amazon.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Sports Direct do a nice pair of Timberland knockoffs for about £45 if that’s a look yr after.  They don’t claim to be waterproof but they are water resistant to a degree. Got some for my son who was eyeing up some Tbrlnds. I think the originals are overpriced so we took a punt on the old Mike Ashley specials and he’s pleased. 

Portuguese made. Like Spain, they retain a decent shoe making industry. 

Interesting comments on Clarks Gore Tex shoes above. I’ve had a pair for 4-5 yrs now. Still perfectly fine. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited January 2021
    I swear by my Adidas Swift trainers.They’re Gortex with Continental soles with bungee style lacing. I use them for anything from cycling 7 miles to work in all weathers to just tatting around in.they’re solid and have lasted a couple of years. I try to get them when they are on offer for about £60-70.
    I know they’re not boots but might be a good alternative.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    If you have wide feet try Meindl. They are the only ones I can wear with any degree of comfort and are incredibly comfortable and well-made. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I have Red Wing Irish Setter goretex lined boots, must be 15 years old or so. Lovely boots this time of year, too warm most of the year. Fantastic quality even if all Red Wings are now made, and have been for a long while, in China.

Thorogood are excellent, same quality as Red Wings. Cheaper , slightly. But if I was to to be buying walking boots (as opposed to posing boots !!) I'd go for a pair of these.

• MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    I love my boots! I recall once owning a pair of Dunhams - they were really hard wearing. Agree that Timberlands aren’t what they were. These days I wear Palladiums - not the canvas ones but the same style in leather:

https://palladiumboots.co.uk/products/72992-228-m?_pos=9&_sid=debb173f7&_ss=r
  • Are cat boots any good? Seem a favourite on construction sites. 
  • Can't really go wrong with a pair of Doc Martens... 
  • Can't really go wrong with a pair of Doc Martens... 

I was looking at the UK-made Solovair boots, which are made in the original factory before the brand was sold to China.