Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boot recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Panama Jack. 10 years and still going strong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Are cat boots any good? Seem a favourite on construction sites. 

Mine do seem very good. As I said, maybe a tad on the heavy side but I was wearing very light trainers before and am used to them now. Very sturdy, waterproof but comfortable and not overly hot or sweaty. Great soles. Hoping I'll not need to buy any more for a long time. 
    Look pretty cool to IMHO. Not too poser-y. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Doc Martens crazy horse leather.
    Best DMs I've ever had.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Do they still do the ones with the badger paw prints on the sole?

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Clarks Wayfinders?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Difficult to do at the moment, but you really need to try some. Fit will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some manufacturers will use multiple lasts, and fit will differ between each of those too. 

I’ve always been a fan a Lowa as they fit me well. 

I have a pair pair of non Goretex Zephyr boots. And a pair of Goretex Innox boots. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    edited January 2021
    Regardless of brand, I've always found that Gore-Tex linings fail after about a year - that doesn't mean the boots are useless after that if they're well made, but they won't be as waterproof as they were when new.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Can't really go wrong with a pair of Doc Martens... 

I was looking at the UK-made Solovair boots, which are made in the original factory before the brand was sold to China.
    Solovair definitely an upgrade on Docs... especially if full grain leather. 

Redwing or others with Horween leather excellent. 

If budget really no issue then look at something in Shell Cordovan with a proper Goodyear welt construction...

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7851
    I have a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTX walking boots that have lasted 30 years.  They still function perfectly, but look a bit scruffy. Bought a new pair last year. 

I do a lot of light walking in a pair of Doc Martin Chelsea boots. Slips on and off, easy to clean, very comfy, pretty bulletproof for day to day stuff. 

Another vote for Merrell trainers and boots. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    All deeply subjective, but when not in a suit I live in Meindl boots for walking/arsing about with the dogs, and Blundstone for rugged yet sensitive masculine urban chic.

Birkenstocks all summer long.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It doesn't matter how long you've had a pair of boots if you only wear them once or twice a year.
    I mostly wear DMs every day and they've worn very well.
    Can be a bit slippy on ice once the soles have worn smooth.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Moleman said:
    I love my boots! I recall once owning a pair of Dunhams - they were really hard wearing. Agree that Timberlands aren’t what they were. These days I wear Palladiums - not the canvas ones but the same style in leather:

https://palladiumboots.co.uk/products/72992-228-m?_pos=9&_sid=debb173f7&_ss=r
    I meant to mention Palladiums. Brilliant boots. I have some of the Pampa Hi in canvas, and they last forever and are really comfortable mile after mile. I've hiked through the valley at Petra in a pair of those, up hills, scree, rock, you name it, no problems at all.
    Through the first lockdown, I used a pair everyday walking for about 5 miles a day in the Peaks, fields, hills, trails, again no problem. 
    They don't fall apart, and they keep their shape and support. And IMO look v cool.

If I know I am going to be walking a fair bit, and want something lightweight, they would be my first choice really.

Better still, if you keep your eye out you can get some for a snip online. Lowest I paid was 20 quid, but you are more likely to pay about 40.

A word on DMs and Timberlands - neither are what they were IMO, don't last too well. Not cheap either.
  • Can't really go wrong with a pair of Doc Martens... 

I was looking at the UK-made Solovair boots, which are made in the original factory before the brand was sold to China.
    Don’t buy Martins.Solovair are still handmade in England and are top quality.