Which gig do you wish you could have attended by a band around in your lifetime?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Not so much a guitar centric gig but I would have loved to have seen Portishead at the Roseland NYC. I watch the gig on YouTube quite often and think it would have been an amazing experience.

Any gigs you wish you had been able to see?
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    My massive regret was missing the original Wall concerts.
    Another would be Dave Lee Roth with Vai and Sheehan - I was on holiday and couldn't get there

There are general regrets, not seeing:
    Queen before they brought synths in, so pre-the Game.
    Van Halen with DLR
    Genesis with Hackett
    Yes around Going for the one
    ACDC when they were with Bon Scott but otherwise maybe 10 year ago or so.

• Nirvana at the Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle (nearest to me they ever played) in late 1991.

When the tour was booked they were an obscure Seattle punk band, so we're booked at small venues across UK and Europe. By the time the gig came around 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' had just come out, and they instantly became the hottest ticket on the planet.

Reports are it was mayhem trying to get tickets, and they ended up with waaaay more people sneaking into the venue than was legal. Thank god there wasn't a fire on the night or it would have been a BBQ!

Looked like an amazing gig... 

Alas, I was only 9 years old at the time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I wish I was old enough to have been around for acid house and the M25 orbital rave scene in the very late 80s, very early 90s. 

I started my rave journey aged 15 in 1995 in a warehouse in Battersea, so just missed out. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Tom Petty. 

Thought about going to the Hyde Park gig in 2017 but decided it’d be too much hassle to go ;-)

Boy do I regret that. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited January 2021
    Motorhead who appeared at what was then my local music venue called The Hermit Club in Brentwood late '78.
    I was too young - didn't get to see them until 1982. The venue had a capacity of 100, the gig went down in local folklore history! Smaller gigs always had more impact on me - like when I saw Crowded House at Goldwyns in Birmingham in 91, fantastic gig.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Tom Petty. 

Thought about going to the Hyde Park gig in 2017 but decided it’d be too much hassle to go ;-)

Boy do I regret that. 

I came here to say exactly the same thing

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Nirvana unplugged. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Definitely David Byrne's last tour. I found out last April that he had been in the Motorpoint in Cardiff in October 2019, with his troupe of dancers / musicians / singers. Who knows when a 70-year-old David Byrne will next tour, if at all?

Maybe Spike Island, but I wasn't into flared jeans or floppy hats so I gave it a miss.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Beat at their peak, I’ve seen two latter versions of the band with original members ( RIP Raking Roger) and both were great so the whole original line up please. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I missed the opportunity to see the stone roses in one of their last gigs with the original line up first time round and the chance to see U2 on the achtung baby tour.  I'm not much of a U2 fan but loved that album.

I would have liked to have seen the pixies in their heyday pre break up but saw them in 2019 at the Ali Pali and they were fantastic. 

When I think of the other albums by 'current' bands that I was into in my formative years I have seen most of them, never managed to see nirvana, crowded house or tracy chapman who I was into.  Smashing Pumpkins I would have liked to have seen.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790

Aerosmith did a show with Jimmy Page at the Marquee in 1990.

I've gone off Aerosmith subsequently but I'd have loved to have witnessed that at the time.  There are clips on YouTube, I've just discovered.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Trouble at the marquee in 1990. Friends from school went.

Re: Nirvana in 1991. They played Kilburn Ballroom, but all the cool kids were at The Marquee that night instead. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790
    edited January 2021
    Reverend said:
    Trouble at the marquee in 1990. Friends from school went.

@Reverend That just popped into my mind as well. 

This will sound ridiculous, but I may have been at that gig... I'm just not sure.  I went to a lot of gigs, especially at the Marquee, in those days but I was also reading all the gig reviews in Kerrang, Metal Hammer etc... sometimes I forget which bands I've seen and which I haven't.

I'm about 60% sure I didn't actually see Trouble, but sometimes I get little flashback mental images which suggest I did.  And I can't think why I wouldn't have gone, unless it was just sold out.

Reverend said:
    Re: Nirvana in 1991. They played Kilburn Ballroom, but all the cool kids were at The Marquee that night instead. 
    Who was playing the Marquee that night?
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    munckee said:
    I missed the opportunity to see the stone roses in one of their last gigs with the original line up first time round and the chance to see U2 on the achtung baby tour.  I'm not much of a U2 fan but loved that album.

I would have liked to have seen the pixies in their heyday pre break up but saw them in 2019 at the Ali Pali and they were fantastic. 

When I think of the other albums by 'current' bands that I was into in my formative years I have seen most of them, never managed to see nirvana, crowded house or tracy chapman who I was into.  Smashing Pumpkins I would have liked to have seen.
    A mate wanted me to go and see the Pixies in 2019. But I dunno, just felt a bit wrong. I didn't think much of the new CD either so maybe it was just not for me.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Rush
    Rev Horton Heat
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Never got to see Thin Lizzy in the ‘70s. The Robertson/Gorham line up would be the one to see for me.  

axisus said:
    ACDC when they were with Bon Scott 

I did mange that though.
  • DLR at Donington, Rush Show of Hands, Journey with Steve Perry
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• JotaJota Frets: 464
    Jason said:
    Tom Petty. 

Boy do I regret that. 

I came here to say exactly the same thing

+1.
    I had no company to fly to London and was affraid to go all by myself from Portugal.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4509
    edited January 2021
    AC/DC with Bon Scott
    Def Leppard with Steve Clark
    Nirvana
    Live Aid
    Dire Straits
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Roxy Music in 1982, preferably at the Glasgow Apollo where The High Road was recorded. Although I was living in England at the time, Birmingham NEC was the closest venue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein