New Fender Chrissie Hynde model

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    ICBM said:
    Having heard the original, does this one come with earplugs?

Probably the most painfully awful music I've ever experienced.
    FTFY ;)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:

FTFY ;)
    Wow!! Given that we live in a world with Westlife, Mariah Carey, Brass Bands, Jack White and U2, that’s quite an accolade.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think that’s really nice and quite unique it being a 65 - makes a subtle change! Pick guard is awful for sure. 
    I *think* the circular blotch in the photos isn't actually there on the guitar. I think its a weird artefact of them not being able to photograph a chrome/mirror scratchplate "face on". There's a few other photos online that don't feature it. 

If the weird blotch *isn't* there then I think it looks great. 
    Ahh, I thought the blotch was part of the roadworn effect. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    I think that’s really nice and quite unique it being a 65 - makes a subtle change! Pick guard is awful for sure. 
    I *think* the circular blotch in the photos isn't actually there on the guitar. I think its a weird artefact of them not being able to photograph a chrome/mirror scratchplate "face on". There's a few other photos online that don't feature it. 

If the weird blotch *isn't* there then I think it looks great. 
    Ahh, I thought the blotch was part of the roadworn effect. 
    Me too.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    Maybe i'm in a moany mood today......

Remember when signature guitars were a bit different. Had some snazzy changes compared to the original guitars?

To me this is just a blue telecaster........
  • If you go to the page on Fender.com and look at all the photos, the blotch is only in some of them. I can only assume that they tried to photoshop out a reflection or something, but whatever it is it looks shit and if it isn't on the actual guitar the marketing guys have properly fucked up because my first reaction was "ugh thats hideous". 

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/telecaster/chrissie-hynde-telecaster/0140310783.html

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10001/0140310783_fen_ins_cbr_1_nr.jpg

gubble said:

Remember when signature guitars were a bit different. Had some snazzy changes compared to the original guitars?

I do like the wild things that come from the ‘we got together with ‘some player’ and created something from their vision type sig models. 

I’m glad that they also do these replicas of guitars played by icons. There’s definitely a place for both I reckon. 
    If you go to the page on Fender.com and look at all the photos, the blotch is only in some of them. I can only assume that they tried to photoshop out a reflection or something, but whatever it is it looks shit and if it isn't on the actual guitar the marketing guys have properly fucked up because my first reaction was "ugh thats hideous". 

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/telecaster/chrissie-hynde-telecaster/0140310783.html

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10001/0140310783_fen_ins_cbr_1_nr.jpg

That page does say it has roadworn hardware and some photos do have the blotch. Guess we will see; the Brad Paisley telecasters had very uneven roadworn from none to dragged along a tarmac road so Fender don't seem terribly consistent at the process.  
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    In interview Hynde always claims to know nothing about music theory and gear but she’s pretty effortless around the fretboard and not exactly a slouch at song writing so I’m not entirely sure I completely believe her. 
    She is, a friend of mine has spent a fair bit of lockdown mixing the home-made Dylan covers she's been recording, and despite the fact they're mostly done on an iphone the raw material is good.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I was assuming the blotch was meant to represent chrome plating worn away to show the (presumably) brass underneath.  I guess we'll have to wait to see real-world examples.

Overall, I really like the "lots of chrome" on ice blue look.  It's almost like something John 5 might play.

impmann said:
    ICBM said:

FTFY ;)
    Wow, I always thought the Pretenders were one of those bands we're all "supposed" to love and revere (...never liked them myself).  ;)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    dazzajl said:
    gubble said:

I do like the wild things that come from the ‘we got together with ‘some player’ and created something from their vision type sig models. 

I’m glad that they also do these replicas of guitars played by icons. There’s definitely a place for both I reckon. 
    Yes you are absolutely right - I'm being a bit harsh today (it's my birthday I'm grumpy). 

I guess for me it's not an instrument I recognise so it looks very generic in my eyes. 
    @gubble Happy birthday!
    Philly_Q said:

I was assuming the blotch was meant to represent chrome plating worn away to show the (presumably) brass underneath.  I guess we'll have to wait to see real-world examples.

Overall, I really like the "lots of chrome" on ice blue look.  It's almost like something John 5 might play.

impmann said:
    ICBM said:

FTFY ;)
    Wow, I always thought the Pretenders were one of those bands we're all "supposed" to love and revere (...never liked them myself).  ;)

Happy Birthday to @gubble ;

I never liked The Pretenders all that much but they have a sort of saccharine pop side and a more interesting deep cuts and live side which, to my ears, is much better - much more rock and roll and they have always had great guitarists. 
    Very happy grumpday to you @gubble ;

I’m exactly the same with them. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Philly_Q said:

impmann said:
    ICBM said:

FTFY ;)

Are we? Sorry but I've always thought they were a bit middle of the road and her voice grates on me.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
    I know her as that lady who sings Smelly Cat with Pheobe in Friends.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Philly_Q said:

impmann said:
    ICBM said:

FTFY ;)

Are we? Sorry but I've always thought they were a bit middle of the road... 

... literally middle of the road complete with blue tele....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Philly_Q said:

Are we? Sorry but I've always thought they were a bit middle of the road and her voice grates on me.

Maybe it's a false impression, but ever since I started listening to music as a teenager I feel like it's been drummed into me that no-one's allowed to mention the Pretenders without saying how cool, smart, sassy and rock'n'roll Chrissie Hynde is.

And we're supposed to reverentially go "Ooooh" whenever anyone utters the names James Honeyman-Scott or Robbie McIntosh (the former had some very cool Hamers, to be fair, that's what I remember most about him).

edited January 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    impmann said:
    Philly_Q said:

Wow, I always thought the Pretenders were one of those bands we're all "supposed" to love and revere (...never liked them myself). 

Maybe it's a false impression, but ever since I started listening to music as a teenager I feel like it's been drummed into me that no-one's allowed to mention the Pretenders without saying how cool, smart, sassy and rock'n'roll Chrissie Hynde is.

And we're supposed to reverentially go "Ooooh" whenever anyone utters the names James Honeyman-Scott or Robbie McIntosh (the former had some very cool Hamers, to be fair, that's what I remember most about him).

I do think she has a fab voice and writes some great songs but she does come across as pretty grumpy and difficult. Maybe that counts as some kind of cool??

I can only imagine that her and Ray were not the easiest of dinner guests 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Philly_Q said:

I love the songs, the music, her voice, everything really... but saw them live in the 80s and her guitar sound was beyond ice-picky. I don't know whether I was just at the focal point of the sound waves or something - arguably some of the best seats, dead centre of the grand circle in the Edinburgh Playhouse - but it was painful to the point of distracting from being able to hear the music properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom