Truetone/1 Spot CS-12 Pro

smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
Anyone using this power supply, and specifically to power pedals that draw a higher current than is listed on the outlets? Any issues to speak of?

I'm struggling to find an all-in-one PSU for my board, that needs to run 3 pedals at 12v/500ma and also an HX Stomp. 

I'm currently running my Stomp from a Zuma using 2 x 9v outlets and a current doubler adaptor, which I would be doing with the CS-12 too.

I've totalled up my required current for my entire board, and it's coming in at 2,766A so according to the Truetone info regarding the technology in the PSU, the listed outlet info doesn't matter as I'm under the total 3A output

Cheers

Keir
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    I ran a Neo Mini Vent II which claims to need 12V 0.5A using two of the 12V 100ma outputs of the CS12 and a current doubler - no problems. It's only got 4x12V outputs though so you wouldn't have enough to double up on 3 12V pedals.

I'm going to sell mine along with aforementioned current doubler as I since bought the gigrig power supply, feel free to send me a PM if you do decide to go for it.
  • DrHungry said:
    I ran a Neo Mini Vent II which claims to need 12V 0.5A using two of the 12V 100ma outputs of the CS12 and a current doubler - no problems. It's only got 4x12V outputs though so you wouldn't have enough to double up on 3 12V pedals.

I'm going to sell mine along with aforementioned current doubler as I since bought the gigrig power supply, feel free to send me a PM if you do decide to go for it.
    I wasn't planning on doubling up on the 12v outlets, based on this info on their website page for the CS-12:

"A major benefit of using a switching power supply is that it can handle far more current (power being pulled out of it) than any transformer-based power supply. Although we had to put power rating labels on each output to satisfy certification agencies (yes, we actually certified these, unlike most companies), the outputs can generally handle far more than the label shows. For example, you can connect a 300mA pedal to a 200mA output, without causing any problems. The important thing is to not exceed the total of all the labels"

So, there are 4 outputs switchable to 12v, labelled up to run 100ma but as long as the toal draw doesn't exceed 3,000ma then I should be ok as far as I understand.

I've sent an e-mail off to Truetone, and if they confirm this will be fine, I'd definitely be interested in taking your one off your hands :)
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 116
    Interesting! Sounds like I shouldn't have bothered with the current doubler then. Hope they get back to you soon, I remember emailing them about an old CS6 that I had and they were pretty helpful. Give me a shout if you want to go for it. 
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    edited January 2021
    I'm a big fan of the CS12, and have been using it to power a board that had 3x Strymon on it, along with a couple running at 18v, and 3 of the 4 switchable outlets set to 12v. It was using all 11 DC outlets (I had no use for the 12th AC outlet), and running a 2-way daisy chain from one of them for 2x low-draw pedals. So far it's been faultless and very quiet. 

I can't help with your specific question as I don't believe any individual pedal was pulling more than the outlet was labelled for, but overall it was quite a significant total pull. If I've understood correctly from various forum posts, the unit is capable of exceeding the limit on any one outlet, as long as the total across all 12 doesn't exceed 3A - but as always, best to take the manufacturers word for it over mine. In general, a big thumbs up for the unit.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    When I asked their support, Truetone told me that you can draw more current than the rating from any single outlet. The important part is that the sum of the current draws does not exceed the total rating 

I ran an Atomic Amplifire 12 (800ma) from one 500ma output on my CS6 for years with no issues at all.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10178
    edited January 2021
    I have the CS7 and it just draws the required amount regardless of what it said on the output, but only to the maximum output of the actual power supply of course. 

Like the HX FX. On startup it draws about 1800mA and when running around 1000mA I believe. I never had a problem with other pedals ruining alongside it either.