Tube gain

fabienfabien Frets: 0
Good morning people,

Sorry for the silly question, but I am inexperienced and don't only trust my ears.
I swaped the 12AX7 for a 12AY7, so I have a more usable volume knob (I play mostly in an appartment).
So, I guess it also reduce the total amount of gain of the amp, am I right?
With the gain knob fully cranked, and a booster in front, will I get more gain than the 12AY7 permit it?

I hope my english was clear...

Have a nice day.

Fabien

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    A 12AX7 has a maximum gain of around 100, a 12AY7 has a maximum gain of around 45. The actual gain will depend on the circuitry of the amp. 

You can turn your amps gain knob up full, with a booster in front you may get the same amount of overall gain as with the 12AX7, or you may distort the 12AY7. Again, it depends on the circuit of the amp, how much headroom there is on that 12AY7 stage. You won't damage it, give it a try.
  • fabienfabien Frets: 0
    Thank you!
    The amp is a micro dark terror by the way.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Yes, you will get more gain - but you would probably be better using an overdrive pedal not a booster, or you’ll be back to having too much volume before you get enough gain for the amp to overdrive itself.

The 12AY7 should still sound better at lower volume levels even with a pedal, it’s clearer as well as having less gain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fabienfabien Frets: 0
    edited January 2021
    Hello ICBM,
    You mean a overdrive pedal with some of its own dirt or as a boost with no dirt?
    I usually set the gain amp to a "hard rock" tone, and then switch on a clean TC spark for more gain, is that ok?

Will I spoil the gain texture of the amp if I mix it the gain of the TC spark?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    fabien said:
    Hello ICBM,
    You mean a overdrive pedal with some of its own dirt or as a boost with no dirt?
    I usually set the gain amp to a "hard rock" tone, and then switch on a clean TC spark for more gain, is that ok?

Will I spoil the gain texture of the amp if I mix it the gain of the TC spark?
    I think if you use a boost, you will get less dirt from the amp until the volume is up to the same level that causes the problem, and maybe still less. If you want to get more gain and less volume, you need a pedal with extra dirt of its own.

But if you have the TC anyway, try it - it's possible that the amp will overdrive more before the volume goes up, since these amps run the valve at quite a low voltage compared to 'normal' valve amps, so the result may not be the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein