Anyone here into leather ....?

What's Hot
Dav275Dav275 Frets: 291

Belts – that is. Can anyone recommend where I might get a simple, but good quality leather belt?

I’m fed up with buying supposedly good belts, only to find the leather splitting/fraying where the buckle does up.

A quick Google shows some options, but it strikes me that there are a range of skilled people on here, and maybe someone does quality leatherwork, or knows someone who can. I like the idea of spending money within the community if possible, rather than paying a large corporation for a “brand” name.

Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Heistercamp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    probably not a lot of use to you, but there's a cracking leather worker down in St Ives in Cornwall. I bought 2 belts about 20 years ago and they're still going strong, I suspect they'll see me out. Dunno if he does mail order.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Hip & waisted in Bideford, I've no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. I think you'll find they do exactly the sort of belt you want. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    edited January 2021
    Hip & waisted in Bideford, I've no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. I think you'll find they do exactly the sort of belt you want. 
    Ohh they look nice.  I remeber seeing a British leather worker who made guitar straps but also other leather goods including belts....... I will try and find them

It was Heistercamp. as in
    octatonic said:
    Heistercamp.

There are some on Etsty, and the last one I got myself was from my local cobblers

https://www.hipandwaisted.com/

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    I have a couple from Heistercamp. Not super formal stuff but for something to go with jeans they're fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You can get belts made from recycled fire hoses.

They look great, and will be much tougher than leather. Leather should last a while, but it's not the most tough should you, ahem, gain a few pounds and stress it a touch (you know, one hole is a tiny bit tight but the next won't hold your trousers up). 

Also, recycling is good. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited January 2021
    https://www.elliotrhodes.com/

Not cheap, but good.
    Bespoke belt maker, on Long Acre, Covent Garden.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    Always a decent belt stall in any local market but not sure if local outdoor markets are open or not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I think this chap might be able to help.

https://youtu.be/wkAZBmTxDdY
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    edited January 2021 tFB Trader
    Another vote for Heistercamp. I also have one of these which will outlast me I'm sure.
    https://hebtro.co/hebtroco-garrison-belt/
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Wherever you buy from, ask them to demonstrate that the leather they use is all leather, and not just a thin skin on cardboard, like much cheap leather is these days.  
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I got a couple of good belts from a charity shop. They were new. I didn't ask but assume someone was making them to raise money. Not fancy but good. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited January 2021
    Dav275 said:

Belts – that is. Can anyone recommend where I might get a simple, but good quality leather belt?

Bought one in 2015 for just under £40, (EDIT: now £50) -- might have been on the recommendation from someone here as it happens -- and I've worn the belt daily, it's the only belt I've got, and it's doing really well. 

• Dav275Dav275 Frets: 291
    Thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful.  Think I'm going to try the arnold leather goods option.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Foster and Son of Jermyn St are great. They do off the peg or will make you a lovely one hole bespoke belt. 

https://foster.co.uk/category/leather-goods/belts/

I buy mine from Crockett and Jones, who also make a nice belt, and are more reasonable on price. 

https://www.crockettandjones.com/collections/belts/

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    Another option is buying trousers that fit well 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Try making your own custom one?  http://www.leprevo.co.uk/index.htm
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Dav275 said:

I’m fed up with buying supposedly good belts, only to find the leather splitting/fraying where the buckle does up.

A quick Google shows some options, but it strikes me that there are a range of skilled people on here, and maybe someone does quality leatherwork, or knows someone who can. I like the idea of spending money within the community if possible, rather than paying a large corporation for a “brand” name.

Cheers.

Google for genuine hide belts, not leather belts. Leather belts these days are all laminated, with a tissue-thin layer of leather over a substrate of poorer quality stuff.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    ....shrink tubing with a hair dryer?

Looks like a Telefunken U47.