Gilmour acoustic

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    To state the obvious, it depends what they sound like.

Looking for a dread last year, I went to try the Adirondack/Sinker Dreads ...and came away with a VTS Sitka/Rosewood dread which I thought sounded better. The difference may have been in the VTS top or the fact that Adirondack reportedly takes a while to open up. Nevertheless, I felt that the Adirondack/Sinker, whilst nice, sounded less than the sum of its parts.

These Gilmour models do have the VTS top....and could be fantastic. But I don't really want to get into the game of comparing every new model to the one I bought, so I'll stick with what I've got (which is great). 
  • i doubt it would lose much value if you came to sell it though
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I love David Gilmours playing but I’m not a fan of the sig guitar thing and don’t have enough loose change for one of those so as usual I will watch them from afar 
    I heard a rumour of them teaming up with a quote, top 5 player, a while back. Top 5 most recognisable for sure. Good catch for Martin 
  • Andy79 said:
    I love David Gilmours playing but I’m not a fan of the sig guitar thing and don’t have enough loose change for one of those so as usual I will watch them from afar 
    I heard a rumour of them teaming up with a quote, top 5 player, a while back. Top 5 most recognisable for sure. Good catch for Martin 
    I couldn't care any less for Gilmour but I the specs of these guitars looks great, they are expensive for sure but I imagine there are a lot of Gilmour fans with a lot of funds in the bank.

The 6 string is a forward shifted D35, with a Red Spruce soundboard and sinker Mahogany back and sides - I'm not an expert but I can't really think of many D35's in spruce and mahogany. FWIW, I think particular instrument would be an incredible guitar for John Fahey style playing.

The 12 string is a short scale dread with a Carpathian spruce soundboard, D35 sinker mahogany back and sides, again a unique configuration.

jellyroll said:
    To state the obvious, it depends what they sound like.

Looking for a dread last year, I went to try the Adirondack/Sinker Dreads ...and came away with a VTS Sitka/Rosewood dread which I thought sounded better. The difference may have been in the VTS top or the fact that Adirondack reportedly takes a while to open up. Nevertheless, I felt that the Adirondack/Sinker, whilst nice, sounded less than the sum of its parts.

These Gilmour models do have the VTS top....and could be fantastic. But I don't really want to get into the game of comparing every new model to the one I bought, so I'll stick with what I've got (which is great). 
    Which one did you go for?
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited January 2021
    JRgtar said:
    You can get a 1939 D18 authentic for that kind of money. Frankly, you'd have to be a bit of a Gilmour fanboy to buy the sig model at that price. It's a bit odd too because his famous D35 and the 12 string were rosewood back and sides (as a D35 should be) so the signature models are completely different guitars.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    It’s a Custom Shop one off that Guitar Guitar had in stock. Basically an HD28 with VTS and some cosmetic tweaks, most noticeably maple binding (which I think the Modern Deluxes have as standard?). I bought it despite the fancy bits (I prefer plain) ...it just sounded the best to me. 

3 months on, I’m very happy with it. Sounds lovely. But it needs a pro set up once we get out of lockdown....and I suspect there won’t be much saddle left once the action comes down. I’m resigned to it needing a neck reset early in its life. 

Also, the tuners were crap (Schaller grand tune) but it turns out Gotoh open backs drop straight in. 

Martin are like Alfa Romeo...wonderful and frustrating. But worth it....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Don’t really get these, to be honest.

I never particularly think of DG being an acoustic player, really and @idiotwindow says - these aren’t recreations of the Martins he used in Pink Floyd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll said:
    It’s a Custom Shop one off that Guitar Guitar had in stock. Basically an HD28 with VTS and some cosmetic tweaks, most noticeably maple binding (which I think the Modern Deluxes have as standard?). I bought it despite the fancy bits (I prefer plain) ...it just sounded the best to me. 

3 months on, I’m very happy with it. Sounds lovely. But it needs a pro set up once we get out of lockdown....and I suspect there won’t be much saddle left once the action comes down. I’m resigned to it needing a neck reset early in its life. 

Also, the tuners were crap (Schaller grand tune) but it turns out Gotoh open backs drop straight in

Martin are like Alfa Romeo...wonderful and frustrating. But worth it....
    Schaller = German for Bad Engineering.

I was lent a guitar with Schaller Open Gear tuners and they were absolute stinkers, far worse than Grover Open Gear tuners. I've owned other guitars with other Schallers tuners and they've all been terrible,

Hopefully once the saddle comes down and you have the action sorted, the soundboard won't move any more for the time being. I have an acoustic like that which I hope will do the same, as the cost of the reset is more than the cost of the guitar!