Marshall 1960ax vs 1960ahw

SandwellSandwell Frets: 1
I'm gonna get my first 4x12 at some point and I'm trying to decide between these two cabs, I am aware of the differences between (speakers, grill cloth, handles etc) and I'm leaning towards the AX casue of the M Greenbacks and the thinner grill cloth, just interested to see what you guys think of them. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    The HW has the Heritage G12H-30 55Hz speakers not the standard 70th Anniversary ones, so if you can afford it I'd get that, they're some of the best-sounding of any Celestions. The thicker grille cloth is an advantage, it thickens the tone (really!).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The HW has the Heritage G12H-30 55Hz speakers not the standard 70th Anniversary ones, so if you can afford it I'd get that, they're some of the best-sounding of any Celestions. The thicker grille cloth is an advantage, it thickens the tone (really!).
    Surely a 4x12 is already pretty thick sounding? Given its a 4x12 I would like to retain as much clarity and articulation as I can
    Sandwell said:

Surely a 4x12 is already pretty thick sounding? Given its a 4x12 I would like to retain as much clarity and articulation as I can
    The Heritage G12H-30s are clearer and brighter at the top-end than Greenbacks.

There is a reason why the old basketweave cabs with 55Hz G12H-30s are the most valuable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Sandwell said:

The Heritage G12H-30s are clearer and brighter at the top-end than Greenbacks.

There is a reason why the old basketweave cabs with 55Hz G12H-30s are the most valuable.
    Thanks for the info, btw do you prefer A or B cabs?
    Sandwell said:

Thanks for the info, btw do you prefer A or B cabs?
    It depends... I haven't used them very often, but my experience is that on big stages the B cabs have more bottom-end and really roar, but on smaller ones it's better to control that a bit and the A cab makes it easier to hear yourself as well because the top speakers are angled back.

That said I've used them so rarely that I may not be the best person to ask - I did own a B cab once, with (unusual) bass cone G12M-25s, which sounded absolutely fantastic, but I only used it in fairly big places.

• bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    Sorry to muddy the waters but I think it would be worth you also considering the 1960TV and the EVH 5150iii cabs. Both are great, and clearly in the 'vintage' ballpark that you seem to be favouring. I've never heard it but also the Laney LA412 with the 75hz Heritage G12H30 sounds very intriguing. Obviously if you insist that your cab says Marshall on the front then the EVH or Laney are both out, but I can say from experience that the EVH cab is excellent. But then so are the TV, the X and the HW. Just buy them all and be happy ;-)