Something new from PRS tonight - 7pm Eastern Sea Board Time

What's Hot

Comments

• Is that just a refresh Zach Myer with new colour and pick ups?
    Pretty much, plus fingerboard binding, black tuner keys, and a headstock overlay. It’s a great model (and sells well!) though, so I’m not surprised that they haven’t messed with it too much - though they could have at least updated the pickups the rather-excellent 85/15S set!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Is that just a refresh Zach Myer with new colour and pick ups?
    Pretty much, plus fingerboard binding, black tuner keys, and a headstock overlay. It’s a great model (and sells well!) though, so I’m not surprised that they haven’t messed with it too much - though they could have at least updated the pickups the rather-excellent 85/15S set!
    Yeah, I always digged it, actually ordered one but I changed my mind and bought SC58 instead.  I didn't like the colour of the original too much, too bogey green for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    ICBM said:

It’s quite remarkable how something can be so bland and so ugly at the same time.

At least the headstock is the right way round, that’s about the only thing that isn’t hideous.
    In your humble opinion, of course
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    The new Fiore reminds me of a Music Man.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• I liked the idea of the Studio first time around, but it never really caught on

bit confused about the terminology of the finish - 
    Nitro over Cellulose (CAB)
     + what does CAB mean

CAB as in Cellulose Acetate Butyrate? I thought that was what vintage Gibson pickup rings were made from? Perhaps PRS"s CAB acronym refers to something else? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    The "CA" in CAB is catalysed acrylic, according to the PRS website.  I guess the "B" must be base or basecoat. 
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 244
    I'm a fan of PRS guitars generally... but they have done well (IMO of course) to create such an ugly guitar from what is a classic forumla.... the new Charvel PRO-MOD SAN DIMAS STYLE 1 HSS FR M gets it more right for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

I was watching a bit of the "launch party" last night but got bored (though not as bored as David Grissom seemed to be, talking about his amps...).  So I never saw any of the 2021 models except the green Studio Paul was holding during his chat with Jack Higginbotham.

And @impmann I thought that logo actually was a hypodermic syringe, although I must have been too tired to question why! :)

It doesn't look like anything's been too radically overhauled.  At least they're still making all the McCarty 594s, which are the only ones I've been contemplating buying.  I do like that colour on the Studio, although Eriza Verde isn't a new colour.  And yes, the Fiore does look a lot like a Music Man.

No new S2s at all??

• I'd definitely buy an SE Silver Sky if they offered them in some of the fancy colours.

One of the problems with SE is they are still not making them as pretty as they could in terms of colours - and I feel this is just Paul not wanting to cannibalise the USA models. But most other guitar manufacturers are willing to make their affordable range just as pretty as the made in USA versions. 

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2021
    I'd like to see a CE24 Floyd. Plus if I were them I'd concentrate on some less flashy tops and do some solid colours on the S2 ranges. The S2 should be the blue-collar PRS. That's how I'd market it. 

That SSH thing is vile. I predict an Andertons blowout deal on them in May 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I like the look of the fiore, I do admit though I tend to like guitars others seem to hate 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2390
    I'd definitely buy an SE Silver Sky if they offered them in some of the fancy colours.

One of the problems with SE is they are still not making them as pretty as they could in terms of colours - and I feel this is just Paul not wanting to cannibalise the USA models. But most other guitar manufacturers are willing to make their affordable range just as pretty as the made in USA versions. 
    You say that but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Eriza Verde on the SE CU24-08. Granted, the rest of the colours are still fairly dull, but that finish looks just as good as it does on the cores, IMO. Or at least, as good as it can on such a relatively flat top and veneer.
    Tim

• I liked the idea of the Studio first time around, but it never really caught on

+ what does CAB mean
    Nitro over cellulose, I would assume, would be the same as how Fender finish their guitars - just a nitro topcoat so they can pretend it's a nitro finish. 

CAB sounds like the colour... Candy apple blue? (although your guitar is green, so no idea!) 
    jeztone2 said:
    I'd like to see a CE24 Floyd. Plus if I were them I'd concentrate on some less flashy tops and do some solid colours on the S2 ranges. The S2 should be tie blue-collar PRS. That's how I'd market it. 

Agreed, that's how I see the S2 range.  I've said it loads of times (so apologies for the repetition) but I think they should ditch the birds and binding on the S2 McCartys, maybe keep some figured tops for those who want them but also offer them in more solid colours.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    PRS is also updating the finish system in its Maryland factory. Its new nitro finish is a variation of PRS’s Private Stock high-gloss nitro with a cellulose CAB basecoat. The resulting finish is ‘thin, hard, and clear’ to aide resonance as well as looks.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    rlw said:
    PRS is also updating the finish system in its Maryland factory. Its new nitro finish is a variation of PRS’s Private Stock high-gloss nitro with a cellulose CAB basecoat. The resulting finish is ‘thin, hard, and clear’ to aide resonance as well as looks.
    They were doing nitro as of a year ago though, weren't they? Is this just another tweak? Whatever solves the massive ongoing delamination problems is fine by me.
    edited January 2021

Unless I've misunderstood something, I don't think the finish has changed for 2021.  This is the finish they introduced in 2019 but it wasn't used universally until 2020.  From the website:

"From 1985 – 2019, PRS used a polyester basecoat and an acrylic topcoat. During 2019, we started to transition to a nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic) finish.  This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production.  If your guitar was made during 2019, we cannot accurately determine the exact finish used on your instrument, so it is best to treat it as you would any other nitrocellulose finish and avoid long term contact with leather, rubber, and vinyl. Guitars produced in 2020 and beyond have the nitro over CAB finish."

They also say "nitro over cellulose (CAB)" which confuses things a bit.  I don't know enough about finishes to quite understand that.

@Whitecat I didn't know there were massive ongoing delamination problems, although I have posted before about the finish on my 2013 S2, which turned out to be a "known issue" as they say.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2353
    edited January 2021
    duotone said:
    The new Fiore reminds me of a Music Man.
    Reminds me of the Fret King Elan.

https://fret-king.com/elan-super-50-ssp.html#.YAGNk-j7SUk
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader

+ what does CAB mean
    Nitro over cellulose, I would assume, would be the same as how Fender finish their guitars - just a nitro topcoat so they can pretend it's a nitro finish. 

CAB sounds like the colour... Candy apple blue? (although your guitar is green, so no idea!) 
    Interesting - As far as I knew, PRS finished most core models with a V12 finish from around 2010 - What I've just found out is that it looks like it was finished in 2013 - Quote from Shawn at PRS Customer services on a PRS Forum 'Paul has moved on from V12. It's similar to why we now have Phase III locking tuners and Phase III trems and Adjustable Stoptail Bridge with Brass saddles and 58/15's are now used instead of 57/8 pickups. Paul is constantly refining the product. IIRC, we stopped using V12 in 2013'

- So what have they used since then - Many dealers have quoted V12 as the finish on core models for many years since, assuming it to be correct info - It appears as though such news has just crept under any radar
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader

+ what does CAB mean

Interesting - As far as I knew, PRS finished most core models with a V12 finish from around 2010 - What I've just found out is that it looks like it was finished in 2013 - Quote from Shawn at PRS Customer services on a PRS Forum 'Paul has moved on from V12. It's similar to why we now have Phase III locking tuners and Phase III trems and Adjustable Stoptail Bridge with Brass saddles and 58/15's are now used instead of 57/8 pickups. Paul is constantly refining the product. IIRC, we stopped using V12 in 2013'

- So what have they used since then - Many dealers have quoted V12 as the finish on core models for many years since, assuming it to be correct info - It appears as though such news has just crept under any radar
    Update time - after looking at the PRS web site this is their posting

What type of finish does PRS use on CORE guitars?

From 1985 – 2019, PRS used a polyester basecoat and an acrylic topcoat. During 2019, we started to transition to a nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic) finish.  This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production.  If your guitar was made during 2019, we cannot accurately determine the exact finish used on your instrument, so it is best to treat it as you would any other nitrocellulose finish and avoid long term contact with leather, rubber, and vinyl. Guitars produced in 2020 and beyond have the nitro over CAB finish.