Hand Wired Deluxe Reverb or boutique alternative?

What's Hot
Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
Been looking at a Deluxe Reverb purchase, 2nd hand prices on the 65 and 68 versions are pretty favourable. However, Playing total devils advocate cos I’m incapable of making a decision, looking up the ladder at the hand wired 64 option. 

Aside from maybe a vintage amp (not sure I'd be willing to put up with the potential maintenance costs though) or are there boutique equivalents out there that smash it out if the park? 

I’d prefer not to spend more than 2 grand if at all possible. Seen the Rift amps, but don’t know of many more builders. It’d be run in a 2 amp rig with my Hamstead 60rt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Chris’s amps (rift) are fantastic. I’d have one of those over the fender version any day. The fender would probably hold its value better though, if that matters to you. As it’s got fender on it. I have heard good things about the 64’ range though. 
  • sxardsxard Frets: 35
    The first channel of the Carr Slant 6v is inspired by a 64 deluxe reverb and sounds and plays sublime. You also get a great Marshall-based completely independent second channel. Love mine. I've seen some incredible used deals on the 2x12 combo version in the past months, including on this forum, head or 1x12 versions seem to go for more but still easily within your price range.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I’ve had my vintage deluxe reverb for over 25 years and apart from two recaps and a few valves it’s been fine. The recaps were necessary but the amp hadn’t actually broken down. Vintage prices are a bit bonkers these days though, so if you’re ok with a new build, I’d approach Martin Garton at Gartone and get something really nice. I’m sure he’ll build one within your budget.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    sxard said:
    The first channel of the Carr Slant 6v is inspired by a 64 deluxe reverb and sounds and plays sublime. You also get a great Marshall-based completely independent second channel. Love mine. I've seen some incredible used deals on the 2x12 combo version in the past months, including on this forum, head or 1x12 versions seem to go for more but still easily within your price range.

Exactly this. 

I had a Slant alongside my vintage DR for a long while. Indistinguishable really. If anything the Slant was nicer. Kept the DR for sentimental reasons really. And these days you'll find a used Slant well under your budget

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Toneking Imperial Mk ii - blackbace and tweed options with built in ironman attenuator
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    I'm a very happy owner of the '64 Custom, much nicer than the stock DRRIs
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Used Carr Rambler
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Carr Rambler . The End.
    ps ....Carr Slant V if you don't mind something bigger
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    There is a recent video from Jack @ Peach guitars on YouTube where he plays A Fender 22w deluxe reverb, a Tone King Imperial MKII and also a Two Rock.
    Defo worth a look. Bare in mid Jack makes anything sound bloody brilliant.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Honestly?

Pick up an original silverface model for <£1000, spend a couple of hundred with a tech getting it up to spec and blackfaced if you wish, then enjoy. They're probably more reliable than the reissues.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tomajoha said:
    I'm a very happy owner of the '64 Custom, much nicer than the stock DRRIs
    The hardwired custom is quite a bit different to the  reissue, normal channel is effectively the same as the bright channel in that it shares the verb but with the bright cap clipped, reverb if different ( same as Princeton?), 20 watts vs 22 watts (not that I guess that makes any difference) and different transformers, caps, speaker (Although I changed mine to an Alessandro) etc. 

Not sure Id spend retail price on one but for what I paid it’s a keeper, holds up well against my original silver faces and blackfaces albeit they aren’t Deluxes.

I’m with Rift though I’d look for a silverface original.  try it stock before you mod it as the SF deluxe didn’t really suffer too many changes and sounds rather splendid it in its original format (to my ears)

I think you may be hard pushed to find a nice one for even £1500 these days unfortunately, but I haven’t looked recently maybe they dropped down in price a bit.
    RiftAmps said:
    Honestly?

Pick up an original silverface model for <£1000, spend a couple of hundred with a tech getting it up to spec and blackfaced if you wish, then enjoy. They're probably more reliable than the reissues.
    Chris, if you can find a silver face under £1000, I would buy every one of them. I’m seeing really high prices on these, the cheapest I have seen in the last year has been £1600.

I do agree though, any vintage fender can be repaired, no matter what is wrong with it, and once done it will definitely outlive the owner.

Rob
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Ossyrocks said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Honestly?

Chris, if you can find a silver face under £1000, I would buy every one of them. I’m seeing really high prices on these, the cheapest I have seen in the last year has been £1600.

I do agree though, any vintage fender can be repaired, no matter what is wrong with it, and once done it will definitely outlive the owner.

Rob

You're not looking in the right places, Rob. They come through the workshop quite regularly ;)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Well if one comes up let me know :) 
    There’s a Custom Shop Vibrolux for sale near me for a good price, they sound pretty decent too, not sure how much they differ to the deluxe reverb? 40w could be handy.

are they handwired?
    No I dont think so
    And yes say ballpark but different beast (6l6s and 10” speakers). But by no means worse just whatever you prefer. 
    @Vintage-T there’s a ‘77 on eBay in Sussex. Listed as collection but he says he will pack it if you arrange your own courier. It’s a bit pricy for me, but it’s not a stupid price in the end.
    Thanks for the heads up. I bought the Vibrolux and so far so good. Will certainly keep an eye out for a deluxe though
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    RiftAmps said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Honestly?

Rob

You're not looking in the right places, Rob. They come through the workshop quite regularly ;)
    Chris, next time you get one through the workshop that’s for sale for under a grand can I buy it please? Cash waiting!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/