Mooer Preamp Live Users? (and modeller users in general, newbie here)

abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
edited January 2021 in FX
I recently moved from a head and cab set up to a combo and appreciated the slightly simplification so much I'm contemplating cutting back even more and trying the modelling route.

I've done a bit of looking around and most of 'big guys' Kemper, Helix, GT1000 etc all have built in effects too which I don't want/need. I love my pedals and my pedal board and want to keep them. Then I found the Mooer Preamp Live which only models the amp side of things, perfect.

Any users on here? All the YouTube and written reviews say it's a great piece of gear but don't mention how it 'feels' to play. How do things like pick attack, rolling off the volume etc come through with modelling gear?

Also, actually using the thing; the Mooer has power amp and cab simulation available so do I just run this through a powered cab at home and straight to PA when in the studio/live. Or is a better option to use something like a EHX Magnum power amp pedal and a regular cab.

Any help/advice appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Moved into FX
  • I have read of folk who recommend the Mooer radar but something else instead of the Mooer preamps. Lots of options I suppose.
    I had the Fender amp model Mooer. It sounded good in an effects loop or straight into interface to record with.
  • One of my friends bought a preamp live in order to reduce his stage volume and the overcrowding on stage. He didn’t get on with the preamp live at all and sold it a couple of weeks after buying it. He doesn’t know whether it was just that he wasn’t used to not playing through an amp, but he just couldn’t get a sound he liked from it. I have a couple of ampli-fireboxes that I’m using as a dual amp-sim rig that goes direct to desk I’m happy with the sound I get from my pedals and ampless rig. I’m also aware that playing in the Dog and Duck on a Saturday night doing covers - most people aren’t going to be worrying about where my amp is or really about my tone anywhere near as much as I am or do. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited January 2021
    There's an amplifire 6 for sale in the classifieds. That would do the trick nicely. You could put in on your board.
  • This guy does: https://www.fundamental-changes.com/richard-shaw/ I'd guess the super-saturated tones are easier to model than the just on-the-edge of breakup for example, so I guess it depends on what you're after.