Mooer pedals

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I realise this maybe a subjective topic but of the 'budget' pedal brands do you think Mooer are considered the best in terms of sound quality? You see the likes of the flanger and tremolo on lots of boards and even Dan and Mick from That Pedal Show have used some of them.  

There are loads of budget brands out there now but is Mooer still considered a budget brand or are they well respected enough to not be considered cheap?
I'm not talking about whether they are copies or not, just whether they are now classed as decent stompboxes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited January 2021
    I’m not sure that they are seen as the best minis generally across the board but there are some real stars in there. I’ve used quite a few over the years and spent hours trying many more. I would say the Trelicopter, Blues Crab, Reecho, Cruncher, Elec Lady, Ana Echo and Orange 90 are all excellent- interesting that nearly all of those were in the first tranche issued and are for the most part unashamed clones. 

There are plenty of non-Mooer minis that I would rate highly (MXR in general, the Xotics, Mythos amongst others) but all of these are more expensive. I also have a few really boutiquey minis which were horribly costly and not necessarily that much better than much cheaper options. 

It’s also worth noting that a lot of Rowin pedals are indistinguishable from Mooer. 

Never discount the Mosky klones - they are incredible for the money. 

And finally, in general, never ever turn down a Juansolo mini! 

I am of course a mini obsessive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I’m not sure that they are seen as the best minis generally across the board but there are some real stars in there. I’ve used quite a few over the years and spent hours trying many more. I would say the Trelicopter, Blues Crab, Reecho, Cruncher, Elec Lady, Ana Echo and Orange 90 are all excellent- interesting that nearly all of those were in the first tranche issued and are for the most part unashamed clones. 

There are plenty of non-Mooer minis that I would rate highly (MXR in general, the Xotics, Mythos amongst others) but all of these are more expensive. I also have a few really boutiquey minis which were horribly costly and not necessarily that much better than much cheaper options. 

It’s also worth noting that a lot of Rowin pedals are indistinguishable from Mooer. 

Never discount the Mosky klones - they are incredible for the money. 

And finally, in general, never ever turn down a Juansolo mini! 

I am of course a mini obsessive
    The current UK range seems to be 75 pedals so it seems almost inevitable there will be some stars and some clunkers. For example Stevie Young from ACDC has a Pure Boost in his rig, Dan from TPS seems as happy with their flanger as anything else non boutique.

They have also obviously done some R&D so they aren't all clones. I quite fancied the D7 delay which, presumably, uses some of the Ocean Machine development 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Be careful of the Ocean Machine.  My (past) favorite delay/review unit, but after two years it stopped working (no sound). And the footswitches can be glitchy. This isn't just my opinion (on this particular unit)... it seems a hit or miss in functionality.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627

The Good (wot I have used) 

Elec Lady
    Pure Boost
    Trelicopter

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Be careful of the Ocean Machine.  My (past) favorite delay/review unit, but after two years it stopped working (no sound). And the footswitches can be glitchy. This isn't just my opinion (on this particular unit)... it seems a hit or miss in functionality.
    I think the physical longevity of these is always likely to be an issue. Occasional/ home/ in a switching system isn't going to be a problem - but if you are going to be stomping on one for very solo for your next world tour probably look elsewhere. I guess extra annoying with the Ocean Machine as that's an expensive pedal.        
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I've got a mooer blues mood on my board currently which has seen off a nobels odr1 and various other overdrives.  I also have a joyo american sound which is a great pedal - works great to make fender amps have more break up.

I have had a couple of the cheaper pedals fail, a donner looper and a joyo vintage overdrive.  Given their prices I think if you consider them a two year purchase (especially used) they still make sense.
  • I've had the Trelicopter for a few years and love it - it's about to go on a new board. Tempted by the Reecho for delay
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    My whole gig board is mooer (and a fender reflecting pool) I wouldn't change it, as it sounds as good as anyone else's board I have gigged with 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Black Secret is a brilliant RAT clone, instant 70s rock !

Triangle Buff, also superb Muff clone.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • steersteer Frets: 1160
    Are Mooer's churned out in the same factory as the other cheaper Chinese mini pedals? 

I have the Mooer Spark Tremolo - which is great. The yellow comp was also very good.
  • Is therea decent mooer reverb?
  • Is therea decent mooer reverb?
    Not in My experience but some like the shimverb 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Mooer Yellow!
    Is therea decent mooer reverb?
    Not in My experience but some like the shimverb 
    They brought a new one out not long ago, the companion to the delay I posted above, if looking for a complex reverb. 

I have a vague memory of Mary Spender using the Echoverb for a while which is a meat and potatoes delay and reverb and they also have the Modverb for some okay budget ambient noises.
    The official Mooer youtube demos are usually abysmal, if there is anything you fancy the look of never rely on those. 

• steersteer Frets: 1160
    Mooer do produce good clones. There is cloning, and then there is outright copying, which goes beyond analog diodes and capacitors from a simple overdrive pedal, and in Mooers case goes as far as blatantly ripping out EHX software, copyright notices and all!. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/electro-harmonix-wins-copyright-infringement-case-against-mooer

Who knows what else they have got away with. 

Still decent little pedals. But nasty business. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 156
    I have an E-Lady on my board, and quite fancy both a Black Secret and a Yellow Comp. If you poke around on eBay you can find people selling them for about £30 new.

I believe other brands like Donner actually have Mooer boards inside, if you pop them open.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Something I never really understood about the Black Secret, too ... it's a massed produced pedal that used the LM308 chip and sells for £40, when even Proco can't get reliable sources of LM308s for their Rats.

I just... let's not call it a suspicion or an accusion, but I am curious.
  • Be careful of the Ocean Machine.  My (past) favorite delay/review unit, but after two years it stopped working (no sound). And the footswitches can be glitchy. This isn't just my opinion (on this particular unit)... it seems a hit or miss in functionality.
    I think the physical longevity of these is always likely to be an issue. Occasional/ home/ in a switching system isn't going to be a problem - but if you are going to be stomping on one for very solo for your next world tour probably look elsewhere. I guess extra annoying with the Ocean Machine as that's an expensive pedal.        
    Well, I don't tour and gig, lol. I tried getting tech assistance and it was their opinion that it was finished. And that's it, lol. Thanks Mooer.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    I have a flyboard made up with mini's from most of the brands above and a couple, actually quite a few, left over. I really rate Mooer, Donner, Mosky, Kokko and Tomsline/Aroma which shares it's heritage with Rowin. Never had a failure with those mentioned but have had issues with an Eno phaser which just produced a hideous swirling sound and an unbranded chorus, which pops every time it's turned on. Interestingly, the 2 problem children share a similar livery, so my money is on them having the same 'parents'.       
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited January 2021
    If you don’t stomp the hell out of effects Pedals ?
    You will be hard pushed to better Behringer for great VFM effects pedals.