RIP Sylvain Sylvain

What's Hot
Only heard about this just now, such an influential band the New York Dolls, and some great guitar playing. Sleep well fella and RIP. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18684
    Sad news indeed. Loved Sylvain and the massively underrated New York Dolls from the first time I heard 'Jet Boy'. RIP.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    We had a Sound of the Seventies on TV the other week and The New York Dolls were on that. MrsTheWeary, somewhat out of the blue, said she could see how they had influenced the UK punk scene and how outrageous and brave it must have been to be in the Dolls at that time. 
    He'd been seriously ill for a while by the look of it, very sad end. RIP

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    They must've had balls of steel back then for sure, and yeah a massive influence on so many others. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited January 2021
    That really is sad news, Sylvain was pure rock & roll.  This is him at his best, IMHO.  Steve Conte is the guy on the Firebird and Brian Delaney was the best drummer for that band I reckon. (song starts at 1:00)

New York Dolls - Cause I Sez So - video Dailymotion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    A band I have never listened to although I have known the band name all my life. I shall have a listen after work ...
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I met some of them when I first moved to New York 40 years ago.  I was invited to a party at their old manager's apartment and went with some people who had grown up with them and also used to work in the road crew (or were groupies, I suspect!).  Sylvain and Johnny Thunders were there.  I do remember that they seemed OK and not too pretentious at all.  Sad to see them all passing away
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McLaren managed them for a time and Jonesy posed like Thunders onstage. Wasn't Jonesy 's Lea Paul taken from The Dolls in lieu of severance?

I loved Sylvian's look with the Gretsch. The Dolls had some great times and the influence of them, Dictators, Stooges and MC5 is still underrated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    McLaren managed them for a time and Jonesy posed like Thunders onstage. Wasn't Jonesy 's Lea Paul taken from The Dolls in lieu of severance?

I loved Sylvian's look with the Gretsch. The Dolls had some great times and the influence of them, Dictators, Stooges and MC5 is still underrated.
    Amen to that - Wayne Kramer in particular is criminally underrated but he would be in my top ten guitarists, ever,  

Someone once said he was a cross between Pete Townshend and James Brown..