Anyone Find Saddles Sharp?

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
edited January 2021 in Guitar
The last two guitars I bought, a Suhr Pete Thorn and a PRS Tremonti, the edge of the saddle on the low E is razor blade sharp. So when I palm mute the edge of the saddle digs into my palm and irritates the crap out of me. 

I'm not sure if this is something I've just started to notice as it's been 25 years without an issue, or if my technique has changed recently, but I've had to file the edge of the low E so it's rounded. 

Anyone else notice this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Same applies to the grub screw tops on saddles, had to give them a going over too.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    And the corners of the nut, especially the treble side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    I'm just waiting for the "man up" posts to start....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Glad it isn't just me. It's very, very irritating! I never noticed this before so I don't know what happened. 
  • Grub screws on standard saddles a pain in the palm as well as tunamatic  brdges   
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    I've got to say that doesn't bother me. Why don't they round the sides off and softened the saddles?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I wear gloves to lessen the injuries and agonising pain from sharp saddles.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    I buy the small size replacement adjustment screws from Axecaster.No more sharp. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Some guitars, yes
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    edited January 2021
    I have, on occasion, sworn off telecasters because I don't like the way the screws hurt my delicate little fretting hand. I guess shortening the screws would be a less drastic solution.

*edit - I do mean picking hand!
    I have, on occasion, sworn off telecasters because I don't like the way the screws hurt my delicate little fretting hand. I guess shortening the screws would be a less drastic solution.
    Just don't do what a customer of mine did, and file down the *tops* of the screws :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26972
    I always use a combination of shorter screws and neck shims for Fender-type bridges to make sure the screws don't stick up out of the holes. I don't know how people put up with a guitar that hurts if you hit it wrong.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I always use a combination of shorter screws and neck shims for Fender-type bridges to make sure the screws don't stick up out of the holes. I don't know how people put up with a guitar that hurts if you hit it wrong.
    +1. I always aim to have the Es (with short screws), D and G saddles with the screws almost perfectly flush with the tops, and the A and B very slightly above, but not high enough to catch your hand on them. On most Strats this can be achieved without a shim, but I will use one if it can't.

• The last two guitars I bought, a Suhr Pete Thorn and a PRS Tremonti, the edge of the saddle on the low E is razor blade sharp. So when I palm mute the edge of the saddle digs into my palm and irritates the crap out of me. 
    Interesting, I can't say I've ever had that issue on a PRS! I presume this is a trem-equipped Tremonti?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6678
    This is the exact reason that I've moved onto violin. No more palm muting. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    The last two guitars I bought, a Suhr Pete Thorn and a PRS Tremonti, the edge of the saddle on the low E is razor blade sharp. So when I palm mute the edge of the saddle digs into my palm and irritates the crap out of me. 
    Interesting, I can't say I've ever had that issue on a PRS! I presume this is a trem-equipped Tremonti?
    Yea. Here it is.

The edge and pointed bit of the saddle is sharp, as most of these kind of saddles are. They're not rounded so they should have quite a pointed edge. Have a feel of yours, is it pointed?

It's most likely the way my hand sits on the bridge and as I palm mute and slide about mininally when doing muted syncopated rhythms it catches the edge and it irritates me. I filed the edge of the Suhr down and it's largely perfect now. 
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited January 2021
    You should try riding a donkey without a saddle for ten days.
    There backbone will give you a whole new definition of sharp.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mudcrutch said:

Why would I ride a Donkey for 10 days? Am I lost in the desert or something?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Something I've never had a problem with on my guitars. Don't have a telecaster though. Another reason not to like them  ;)
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    Mudcrutch said:

Why would I ride a Donkey for 10 days? Am I lost in the desert or something?
    It was a lighthearted joke.
    I did 10 days in Wales without a saddle as a kid in the 60s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom