SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Cheap SSD

LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
Upgrading my backup laptop... it's not really used much, only to play cartoons early morning while i try to work... also sometimes by daughter and for zoom etc.

Don't want to spend the big bucks and i only really need a small one Ideally 500gb, but 250gb would be fine too. 

Whose got what before i go and buy one? 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7848
    Just buy a new one. They’re getting cheaper all the time. The older models have a much higher failure rate. 
    I had to replaced an SSD twice within a year, but that was a few year back. 

Buying an older model gives you a much higher risk of losing your data.  Go new. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Are they a case of buy cheap buy twice? 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7848
    This is cheap, has great reviews. 

Pioneer 3D NAND External SSD (480 GB)-Portable Solid State Drive (APS-XS03-480) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PZK47BG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_BVCaGbQGTZJZE
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    LuttiS said:
    Are they a case of buy cheap buy twice? 
    The way modern ones are constructed makes failure more likely IMO. Enterprise type aside. The failure I'm referring to a  total failure too so generally all data lost rather than simple loss of FAT table. 

I've had failures with Samsung, ADATA, Crucial, the trick is don't use them for anything you haven't got backed up. 

Amazon are only about £4 more for SSD's than trade price 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Cheers!
    I've just bought a Kingston 480gb.. it's only for lappy rather than main computer which only has operating system on SSD.
    Lappy not used for anything major. 

Which are the Amazon ones? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    LuttiS said:
    Cheers!
    I've just bought a Kingston 480gb.. it's only for lappy rather than main computer which only has operating system on SSD.

Oh I didn't mean Amazon branded I meant buy on Amazon as it's about as cheap as trade .. specially if you have prime
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    LuttiS said:
    Cheers!

Oh I didn't mean Amazon branded I meant buy on Amazon as it's about as cheap as trade .. specially if you have prime
    Ah, that's why I couldn't see them. I thought £44 was pretty good :)
  • I’m sure I paid about £30 for a crucial Mx 500 brand new on eBay from a reliable seller