Record players

I've got 100 odd records off my late grandad.  All 33s.  A right mix of cheesy crooners to disco to jazz with a sprinkling of Christmas classics.  There's a 1957 Frank sinatra and an original Grease sound track plus a couple of Glen Millers too.  I need to get a record player now.   

I want something gorgeously modern with optical out and USB recording,  the less retro the better. 

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    In your position, my first investment would be a vinyl records price guide. Research the monetary value of the pressings. 

For example, my father's copy of In The Wee Small Hours is in the 2x10" disc format. It is not especially rare but some completist collectors would want all three original release formats.

Sadly, most old records are worth disappointingly little money.

If you have an audio/MIDI interface box for computer recording, there is no advantage to paying for inferior A/D technology built into a turntable. You just need an MM or MC pre-amp input on your hi-fi and enough phono cables.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979

Any good? USB recording but no optical out though.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I've got this notion that I'd be playing old record all day long but realistically after the first few times they'd end up back on the shelf lol.   Would like to sell them if any are worth anything.   Hmm need to research that. 

The Sony looks nice but do quite want optical out to connect to my soundbar. 
  • Good luck find a record player with optical out.
    It'll be USB with a cheap and nasty player, or phono out on anything decent.
    I refused to let my daughter borrow any of my records when bought a crappy player from Argos.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Actually silly me, there are loads of Bluetooth ones which is ideal too. Splendid.