Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS Silver Sky Lunar Ice Model - can't believe I like it ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Andertons have 20 different variations of silver sky’s in terms of colours and fingerboards....the most expensive of which is £2569. I’m not sure who’s more deluded, the seller of this Lunar ice one, or the potential buyers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Although I still think the Silver Sky is nothing more than a Strat copy and I don't really understand why PRS decided to make one (well I do, they thought it would sell, obviously)....

I do think this finish looks great.  And having watched the Trogly video where he did his usual thing and took one to bits, I was rather impressed with the construction details.  It's a Strat copy, but it's a very nice one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    They make exceptional guitars but that finish is a bit.... 90s car style... Big bumpers on a resprayed corsa. If people pay North of 10k for a colour on a 2.5k guitar then they are probably rich beyond belief. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2190
    Looks like Reverb have taken down those listings. Presumably don't want to support the scalpers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Meh. It'll look as dated as those flip-flop teal TVR Tuscans in 5 years. 

I don't dislike the Silver Sky as a concept, but I also don't care on any level.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Chintzy, makes my eyes hurt, horrible.

I had a flip-flop teal Gibson SG Special about 20 years ago.  It wasn't a very good guitar, but I still think it was a cool finish.  That might be the only time I've bought a guitar because of the finish.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860

I don't dislike the Silver Sky as a concept, but I also don't care on any level.
    Me too, no matter how hard I try, it's a Strat with a reversed PRS headstock.  Very nice, well machined, well made Strat but on every design level it's still a Strat.

Similarly with the 594, it's a VERY nice Les Paul but the spec is of a Les Paul.  It's partly why my SC58 is a case queen, but at least it has a minor difference in scale.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    I really like it, but £2k tops.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    What's wrong with a proper Strat?
    It's not like there aren't about 3 million variations of Fender Strats available.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Philly_Q said:

I had a flip-flop teal Gibson SG Special about 20 years ago.  It wasn't a very good guitar, but I still think it was a cool finish.  That might be the only time I've bought a guitar because of the finish.
     I remember those. They were not bad looking. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Me too, no matter how hard I try, it's a Strat with a reversed PRS headstock.  Very nice, well machined, well made Strat but on every design level it's still a Strat.

Similarly with the 594, it's a VERY nice Les Paul but the spec is of a Les Paul.  It's partly why my SC58 is a case queen, but at least it has a minor difference in scale.
    The 594 is certainly going for the Les Paul market, but not so obviously as the Silver Sky's going for the Strat market.

At least the 594s look like PRS guitars and have many design features in common with previous PRS models.  Especially the doublecut, of course, but even with the singlecut there are things quite different from Gibson, like the neck joint and the headstock angle.

Whereas the Silver Sky's been designed from scratch to be a straight Strat copy (again, a very nice one), with a couple of tweaks to make it slightly PRS-ish.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I actually quite like the colour. Well done on Reverb for removing scalpers. The last ltd run colour resold for about twice what it retailed for IIRC? That one was limited to 500 though, this one is 1000.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    There's one for £10,999 on eBay with £100 for postage. I messaged him and he's kindly agreed to do free postage. What a nice chap.

Also another one just gone up for £14,000 - I messaged him asking if he could do anything on the price, and he sent me a buy it now offer of £15k.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14184
    tFB Trader

No way. That's insane. 
    Andertons have 20 different variations of silver sky’s in terms of colours and fingerboards....the most expensive of which is £2569. I’m not sure who’s more deluded, the seller of this Lunar ice one, or the potential buyers.
    Total madness isn't it - I could buy a regular model - Get a good paint job and a good blow job, not from the same person and still have a healthy balance in my account compared to that price above 

Is the proposed seller an actual business, or a punter who has secured one from an appropriate legit PRS dealer and has now decided to take the p*ss and try it one ?