Ibanez EUB

wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
edited January 2021 in Bass
Anyone tried one of these ?

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/ub804_01.html

I’m tempted to enter the world of upright, but don’t have the space for the real thing. Also I’m not sure how my fingers/joints might cope with this style of playing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    If you already have a fretless electric bass guitar, try playing it in the nearly upright, early Bill Wyman position. Immediately, some of the lower fingering positions will only be visible out of the corner of your eye. IMO, this is a good thing because your intonation should rely on your ear rather than line of sight.

Both of your hands should adapt pretty quickly to the fingerboard radius. 
    Be seeing you.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    edited January 2021
    I've not tried one but would reccomend you look at the ns nxt and wav. The wav is the same, price as the ibanez. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Rich tone have a used nxt for 799 no affiliation
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Gosh, that has a very steep radius, less than 3"!
  • If you already have a fretless electric bass guitar, try playing it in the nearly upright, early Bill Wyman position. Immediately, some of the lower fingering positions will only be visible out of the corner of your eye. IMO, this is a good thing because your intonation should rely on your ear rather than line of sight.

Both of your hands should adapt pretty quickly to the fingerboard radius. 
    Had a go at this, trying to balance my fretless on a table to get the position and height, not as easy as it sounds !!!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Regardless of scale length, it will be necessary to drill the note positions into muscle memory. With that sorted, it is time to mess with glissandi and vibrato.
    Be seeing you.
  • ivanscivansc Frets: 9
    Definitely go for at least 40" scale. I had to sell my upright acoustic bass due to lack of space, bought and passed on three different pencil-style EUBs & couldnt get on with any of them, even those that came with supports for your body ( grin) I eventually bought the Bassix Jazza that I still own & it is far nicer to play than any of the others. The neck actually feels like a real upright, it sounds great & it is small enough to fit in a medium scale bass guitar gig bag.  Not sure if they are still being made, as the owner/maker has been sick for several years, but I have since tried a couple of their other models & they all play and sound like a real upright.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    Thanks for all the comments, once the restrictions are lifted it looks like I will have some spare cash to splurge and get out to try some stuff .
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    I've had a couple of EUB and overall they are not bad but the only proper small body one that actually sounds like a proper DB is the BSX Allegro. Not cheap at £2600 though. The Yamaha Silent bass is very close too, but also expensive.

The NS Wav / NXT are pretty good but the stock strings are awful. Strings make such a difference as to whether you want it to sound as close to an DB as possible. So budget for a big string upgrade. Don't have to go mad and get a set of Pirastro Eudoxa (about £650!!), but a good set of Thomastik traditionals will make a massive difference.

And a bit of inspiration from the finest DB player that ever lived.

Alas he had a stroke a few years ago and cannot play anymore.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for the link, absolutely stunning, sadly the big seven zero is rapidly approaching for me, so I don’t think I have anywhere near enough time left to get close to that level !!!!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Thanks for the link, absolutely stunning, sadly the big seven zero is rapidly approaching for me, so I don’t think I have anywhere near enough time left to get close to that level !!!!
    Don't worry - no one else has got anywhere near him either!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

And a bit of inspiration from the finest DB player that ever lived.

Alas he had a stroke a few years ago and cannot play anymore.

Thanks for that, @fretmeister

Beautiful. Sadly, it seems he died last year, I even see claims it was C-19...