Vibrolux Reverb opinions

What's Hot
Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
Been looking at a deluxe reverb amp and a custom shop designed vibrolux reverb has popped up close to me.

Anyone used both can you tell me if they’re wildly different beasts? I’m looking more for the lovely break up tones rather than the cleans from this amp. 

Have done a bit of youtubing and forum reading but not many clips on this amp so thought I’d seek some opinions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    edited January 2021
    The Vibrolux has quite a lot more headroom and a clearer, more open sound. If you're looking for early breakup I would get the Deluxe.

The Custom Vibroluxes I've played have also been noisy, if it matters.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    In a band context is the vl likely to break up at the right volume will the dr be too muddy at volume enough to compete with a loud drummer?
    edited January 2021
    Vintage-T said:
    In a band context is the vl likely to break up at the right volume will the dr be too muddy at volume enough to compete with a loud drummer?
    Well, that's a different question .

Yes. I've never found Deluxes quite loud enough, despite popular wisdom saying they are - it's not the outright volume, it's that they go too muddy and flubby to give me the clean headroom and very light break-up I want at band volume... and I don't play that loud. I much prefered the silverface Vibrolux I had.

If the 'Custom' Vibrolux is one of the ones with no negative feedback at all, they can also be improved greatly and the noise reduced at the same time, by adding some.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JMS96JMS96 Frets: 136
    I’ve used a custom 68 Vibrolux Revert in my band and used an attenuator to get it to break up. It wasn’t miles off, but was constantly being told to turn it down. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30863
    The Custom Vibrolux is a really noisy thing and is best avoided. A Brownface 63 Vibroverb much nicer.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    The Custom Vibrolux is a really noisy thing and is best avoided. A Brownface 63 Vibroverb much nicer.
    ... although you need to replace the speakers if they're still the stock resissue ones.

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Gassage said:
    Well I bought it. Good price so budget to spare for some modifications or an attenuator. Gain structure sounds lije what I’m after, can always chat to Zilla who are close by for speaker upgrades if needed too. Will now wait to see if the right price DR comes up and i can pick one up for non-rock band stuff.
  • Vintage-T said:
    Been looking at a deluxe reverb amp and a custom shop designed vibrolux reverb has popped up close to me.

Anyone used both can you tell me if they’re wildly different beasts? I’m looking more for the lovely break up tones rather than the cleans from this amp. 

Have done a bit of youtubing and forum reading but not many clips on this amp so thought I’d seek some opinions.

If you can cope with the noise the stock CVR should fit the bill for you perfectly. If you were looking for "cleans" then a revalve and The Mark Moyer mod is the way to go.