Noel Gallaghers D28? which model?

What's Hot

Apparently he got one off the shelf with a LR Baggs pickup

Does anyone know which D28 he is using here?

I think it has a Herrinbone  purfling?

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/hd-28e/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I believe it's a pre-'Reimagined' HD-28. I read somewhere that he picked it up in a shop and just thought it sounded incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26963
    Yeh, herringbone suggests an HD28. Fantastic guitars if you like the Martin “thing”
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Thanks, Reimagined HD28 v HD28? Whats the difference there?
  • That's the guitar I want!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Thanks, Reimagined HD28 v HD28? Whats the difference there?
    The Reimagined has a wider nut width of 1 3/4 compared to the earlier 1 11/16, and also a different neck profile - less flat and more rounded with a hint of a V (what Martin call their 'modified oval' neck).

The Reimagined model also has forward-shifted bracing and more of a vintage aesthetic with butterbean tuners instead of Grovers and diamond inlays instead of dots.

Finally, I think the earlier HD28 came with a natural top whereas the Reimagined model has ageing toner, and the newer model also has slanted bridge pins.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, Reimagined HD28 v HD28? Whats the difference there?
    I think the reimagined has a change to the bracing locations and possibly some ageing done to it (not relic'd)

I've not played a bad reimagined. Pricey though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    According to Guitar.com his signature Gibson J150 is imminent.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    When I tried a bunch of D28s a few years ago I was really impressed by the reimagined. Not being an aficionado the neck didn't feel "wrong" to me ()as I've read some folk say elsewhere) just different to the standard model and I liked both. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • thanks for the heads up regarding his sig Gibson. I have never been a huge fan on the look of the guitar and i have never played one! maybe i'll try one. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Brize said:
    Thanks, Reimagined HD28 v HD28? Whats the difference there?
    The Reimagined has a wider nut width of 1 3/4 compared to the earlier 1 11/16, and also a different neck profile - less flat and more rounded with a hint of a V (what Martin call their 'modified oval' neck).

The Reimagined model also has forward-shifted bracing and more of a vintage aesthetic with butterbean tuners instead of Grovers and diamond inlays instead of dots.

Finally, I think the earlier HD28 came with a natural top whereas the Reimagined model has ageing toner, and the newer model also has slanted bridge pins.

I'm glad I got an HD28V several years ago with a 1 11/16" nut.  They all seem to be 1 3/4" now.  They should have something in the range with 1 11/16".  If I was after a high end acoustic now, it wouldn't be a new Martin.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited February 2021
    I have a 2018 “reimagined” HD28 and at first I thought the sound was a bit brittle and thin in the high end register, a bit zingy on the unwound strings but now after a couple of years wall hanging it has mellowed and the tone is perfect, woody, warm and much fatter and rounder in the high end. It is the sound I want from a Dreadnought. The top has naturally aged and more wood grain shows through and the satin finish on the back of the neck has worn to a silky gloss.

At first I wasn't sure about the 1 3/4 nut width as it made thumb wrapping for chords just that little bit less comfortable than the 1 11/16 of the previous D28 I had but I have got used to it.

It's a joy to play and hear and the forward shifted and scalloped bracing adds a real detail to single notes, you don't have to dig in to get volume, it really rewards more delicate playing.