Educate me please - Rickenbackers

What's Hot
JasonJason Frets: 1103
in Guitar tFB Trader
Hi

I have never owned a Ric, but I really fancy having one. The question is, do I need a 12 string for the jangle or is it available with a 6 string?

I'm thinking either a 330 or 360 but open to opinions on other models. I do quite like the look of a 620 but I think the 660 is the same but with a wider neck?

Amps are a Lazy J J20 and a Marshall SV20H

Any advice is welcome

Thanks
The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 330 is the way. Had a 620 too until recently, but as nice as it was, if you want rickenbacker at its best, I think 330 or 360
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    330 is the way. Had a 620 too until recently, but as nice as it was, if you want rickenbacker at its best, I think 330 or 360

Thanks - what do you think re 6 or 12 string?
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    The 12-strings are for a very specific thing, which you may find a limited use for. I love that sound, but I don't use it enough to have a £1500+ instrument sitting around for it. I do have a Rick 6-string, which gives a flavour of it but obviously doesn't sound like a 12.

You may also find a 12 - other than the 660/12 which has a wider neck - very awkward to play, they have the same neck width as the 6-strings, which many people find too narrow anyway. I love the 6-string width, but even for me the 660/12 is easier to play. (I don't like the 6-string 660 at all - ridiculously wide for a 6-string.)

If you just want the classic Rick 6-string sound I would get a 330 - it's the definitive model and usually the cheapest. If you want a 12 and you can afford it I'd probably get the 660/12 unless you already know you can get on with the neck width on the others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Plenty of intrinsic Rickenbacker jangle on the 6’s still. Here’s a little 30 second vid I did of a 330 and 620. For me, the 330 shines a little more. 80s switch engaged, obviously 

https://youtu.be/tgMK-yvheFw
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The 12-strings are for a very specific thing, which you may find a limited use for. I love that sound, but I don't use it enough to have a £1500+ instrument sitting around for it. I do have a Rick 6-string, which gives a flavour of it but obviously doesn't sound like a 12.

You may also find a 12 - other than the 660/12 which has a wider neck - very awkward to play, they have the same neck width as the 6-strings, which many people find too narrow anyway. I love the 6-string width, but even for me the 660/12 is easier to play. (I don't like the 6-string 660 at all - ridiculously wide for a 6-string.)

If you just want the classic Rick 6-string sound I would get a 330 - it's the definitive model and usually the cheapest. If you want a 12 and you can afford it I'd probably get the 660/12 unless you already know you can get on with the neck width on the others.

The 660/12 look pretty damn expensive and would require a fair few bits to be sold to afford it. I may just go for a 6 string, who knows, I may like it so much I end up with a 12 string too, you know how these things go :-))
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6675
    I think there is no binary in terms of model.

If you want a Gibson, you can choose from a variety of models. It doesn't HAVE to be a Les Paul.
    Same with Fender, Gretsch, Feline etc etc etc. 

Try a few. Pick the one that suits your sound, looks, ergonomics etc. Then try them. 

Personally, I prefer a smaller bodied guitar, so the 600 series was best for me, despite liking hollowness. I don't have enough need or use for a 12 string and I prefer more neck in my hand. Therefore I looked for and eventually managed to get hold of a 660. 

It's brilliant. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The jangle comes from the octave strings. Until recently, I faked it using a 230 in Nashville Tuning and a generous dollop of plug-in compression in the style of two Teletronix LA-2A units, connected in series. Usually, I included this sound as a background texture to blend in behind the electric or acoustic guitar parts in a project.

Jason said:
    with a wider neck
    That would be the Petty and McGuinn signature models. Their more conventional string spacing makes some moves easier and some more difficult.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Plenty of intrinsic Rickenbacker jangle on the 6’s still. Here’s a little 30 second vid I did of a 330 and 620. For me, the 330 shines a little more. 80s switch engaged, obviously 

Thanks - sounds great, well both do but I suspect that the 330 is the way to go

tFB Trader
    The jangle comes from the octave strings. Until recently, I faked it using a 230 in Nashville Tuning and a generous dollop of plug-in compression in the style of two Teletronix LA-2A units, connected in series. Usually, I included this sound as a background texture to blend in behind the electric or acoustic guitar parts in a project.

Jason said:
    with a wider neck
    That would be the Petty and McGuinn signature models. Their more conventional string spacing makes some moves easier and some more difficult.

Thanks - the Petty version is £4K plus - I'll have a look at the McGuinn model
  • Jason said:
    Plenty of intrinsic Rickenbacker jangle on the 6’s still. Here’s a little 30 second vid I did of a 330 and 620. For me, the 330 shines a little more. 80s switch engaged, obviously 

Thanks - sounds great, well both do but I suspect that the 330 is the way to go

It’s a little more airy and warm than the 620 was... but then, it’s an 88 and the 620 was a 2020 so degradation of the pickups may contribute positively, and not just the hollow body.  
    tFB Trader
    merlin said:
    I think there is no binary in terms of model.

If you want a Gibson, you can choose from a variety of models. It doesn't HAVE to be a Les Paul.
    Same with Fender, Gretsch, Feline etc etc etc. 

Try a few. Pick the one that suits your sound, looks, ergonomics etc. Then try them. 

Personally, I prefer a smaller bodied guitar, so the 600 series was best for me, despite liking hollowness. I don't have enough need or use for a 12 string and I prefer more neck in my hand. Therefore I looked for and eventually managed to get hold of a 660. 

It's brilliant. 

I am quite a large human, so I have worried that the 600 series may be a bit small, I'll see if I can keep the GAS away until the shops re-open
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    I recently bought "Clanger" back, and although it sounds amazing as a 12-string, the faff of restringing and my fingers being like tree trunks, means I string it as a 6-string, and actually prefer playing it this way.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    MikeS said:
    I recently bought "Clanger" back, and although it sounds amazing as a 12-string, the faff of restringing and my fingers being like tree trunks, means I string it as a 6-string, and actually prefer playing it this way.

That is stunning - that is also not helping :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Good luck finding either. The McGuinn was limited to 1000 pieces. 

Gav's video reminds me that I need to have another go at faking the RIC sound with my modified PRS SE Custom Hollowbody. I fed it two Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Good luck finding either. The McGuinn was limited to 1000 pieces. 

Gav's video reminds me that I need to have another go at faking the RIC sound with my modified PRS SE Custom Hollowbody. I fed it two Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups. 
    It’s something in the speed of attack, lack of sustain, and overall compression that sets them apart. I reckon a tele is the closest you can get. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236

It’s something in the speed of attack, lack of sustain, and overall compression that sets them apart. I reckon a tele is the closest you can get. 
    you can get close with a Gretsch. But then again you need a Ric as well.

I had a 330 and a 360 for years. Sold the 330 in 18 and kept the 360. I've been looking at 12 strings.

BTW Gav coda have a matching 12 for your 330.
  • slacker said:

you can get close with a Gretsch. But then again you need a Ric as well.

I had a 330 and a 360 for years. Sold the 330 in 18 and kept the 360. I've been looking at 12 strings.

BTW Gav coda have a matching 12 for your 330.
    Now that’s just cruel! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    I’ve a 330-6 and a 360-12. Honestly, I prefer the feel of the 330 to the 360, it has more of a hollow body warmth, whereas the 360 is a bit more pristine and what you’d associate with the ‘rickenbacker’ sound. They are so much more than just that sound though, much more versatile than they are given credit for. The 12 string is great fun, a one trick pony, but boy what a trick! 
  • Not as butterscotched as mine, but lovely nonetheless 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I’ve a 330-6 and a 360-12. Honestly, I prefer the feel of the 330 to the 360, it has more of a hollow body warmth, whereas the 360 is a bit more pristine and what you’d associate with the ‘rickenbacker’ sound. They are so much more than just that sound though, much more versatile than they are given credit for. The 12 string is great fun, a one trick pony, but boy what a trick! 
    when I had both I felt that the 330 was more aggressive.  As I have a bunch of guitars I kept the 360.