Educate me please - Rickenbackers

What's Hot

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    slacker said:
    I’ve a 330-6 and a 360-12. Honestly, I prefer the feel of the 330 to the 360, it has more of a hollow body warmth, whereas the 360 is a bit more pristine and what you’d associate with the ‘rickenbacker’ sound. They are so much more than just that sound though, much more versatile than they are given credit for. The 12 string is great fun, a one trick pony, but boy what a trick! 
    when I had both I felt that the 330 was more aggressive.  As I have a bunch of guitars I kept the 360.
    Interesting, may just be mine then. I know the pickups are supposed to have varied quite a bit over the years which might explain it. I’ve had two 330-6s now and from memory the first wasn’t as resonant as this one, so may just be the guitar itself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    It's probably the guitars. Every single one I've played has been great. Just slightly different.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Ive collected Rickies in the past, and owned many many of them...

Id recommend a 360 to begin with; better appointed and consistent guitars, and generally better looking anD better woods.

AvoiD the 620. OverateD imho and less easy to sell, with a less obvious Ricky sound.

Not all Rickies are the same. They are truly hand made instruments, and ive owned dogs. Tuning issues are fairly common, so check them out before buying.

As a general rule, I think the 360 sounds a little sweeter, and the 330 more aggressive. 

The 12 strings are literally a bastard to restring :)

Still THE best looking and coolest guitar out there.

Here is my surviving Ricky, although I will get a Jetglo 330 for the band;

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    edited January 2021
    I've 3, a late 50's 360 Capri and a mid 60's 370-12

And and early 70's 4001:

And the 12 string is the worst guitar to restring.  I have to do it soon, but keep putting it off.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    One other point - If you have a 12 string Ricky, you can take off the octave strings and use it as a 6 string - The 12 string used and set-up as a 6 string is in fact still identical to a 6 string, bridge, tailpiece, nut width etc 

As others have said, the 12 string is a one trick pony - But one hell of a trick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All I know is that this one is very special, and I won’t part with it. 

I love it an obscene amount. 

It’s worth mentioning that the neck profiles vary a fair bit over the years. You quite often find that Rick necks feel almost square in the hand; with the exception of a few, they’re generally all narrow, but quite often they’re reasonably deep. My 88 however has a stunning neck - it’s narrow, but has more of a fendery medium C feel to it. 

Other things of note - a Ric can be set up with very low action should you like that. (I do). Necks are pretty stable and straight. They play beautifully when a) they’re set up well and b) you get used to the feel of them. This tends to take about a week of them feeling odd, then suddenly you just click with them. After that point you can switch back and forth between Rics and anything else with no issue. 

Oh, and they all weigh 8lbs. Regardless of age, model, anything else... 8lbs. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKing said:
    I've 3, a late 50's 360 Capri and a mid 60's 370-12

And and early 70's 4001:

And the 12 string is the worst guitar to restring.  I have to do it soon, but keep putting it off.
    That 370 is a work of art 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    https://i.imgur.com/WCqW32k.jpg

Old pic 2008 360 with sticker
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    I personally didn't want that much money tied up in 12 string, but to give you an idea of how jangly even a 6 string is here's my 620 using a mid-gain amp setting which sounds like early Angus Young when I plug a Les Paul into it. 

It's very touch sensitive and with great string separation, even through a Marshall type amp. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Thank you all. This has been very informative. I do like Mark’s suggestion of getting a 12 and having the option of playing as a 6. 

I just need my refund from my dodgy Bad Cat Paw and I’m on my way
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    p90fool said:
    I personally didn't want that much money tied up in 12 string, but to give you an idea of how jangly even a 6 string is here's my 620 using a mid-gain amp setting which sounds like early Angus Young when I plug a Les Paul into it. 

It's very touch sensitive and with great string separation, even through a Marshall type amp. 

Gave you a wow for the 620, the tone and the playing, but you also deserve a wis for the point about string separation.
  • Personally I'd get a 6 unless you desperately want the 12 sound.

I have a beaten up 381 and love it to pieces. Had this itch for twenty years and finally scratched it last year thanks to a nice gentleman from this very forum. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6681
    I have this...

It's probably a wee bit more jangly that @p90fool's 620 due to the toaster pickups, which are lower output....and janglier. 
    The distance between the pickups makes for a right proper lovely tone in the middle position. Lots of rich warmth with lots of top end. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    I probably went through a similar dilema with my first Ric. Got a 12 and sold it for a 6 string. I’d put aside the issue of wanting a Ric and ask yourself do you want a 12-string electric? If the answer is yes, then a Ric 12 is a great one. Otherwise I think it’s a trap to think that only a 12-string is the full fat Ric. They’re wonderful guitars, versatile, play great, and yes, jangly and sound unique. I play mine through an SV20H too. The 12s are wonderful too, and if I had room for more guitars it would be a contender- but you’ll only play it when you want to play a 12 string, and for me it wan’t often enough to keep it. I also did the play a 12 with only 6 strings. It does work, but never felt right to me. I don’t think the string spacing quite works, and you’ve got 6 stringless tuners rattling around.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My mate has a genuine 60s one, which he’s owned for decades. Sounds cool but plays like I’d expect for its age, if that makes sense, I.e. genuine retro feel. Can they, or are they the same in modern version, to play more like a ‘faster’ guitar? I know they’re not meant to be fast but curious. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Plenty of intrinsic Rickenbacker jangle on the 6’s still. Here’s a little 30 second vid I did of a 330 and 620. For me, the 330 shines a little more. 80s switch engaged, obviously 

https://youtu.be/tgMK-yvheFw
    I can’t lie, it’s damned difficult to hear the guitar through the chorus & delay, though I’m sure they’re both lovely!
  • Plenty of intrinsic Rickenbacker jangle on the 6’s still. Here’s a little 30 second vid I did of a 330 and 620. For me, the 330 shines a little more. 80s switch engaged, obviously 

I can’t lie, it’s damned difficult to hear the guitar through the chorus & delay, though I’m sure they’re both lovely!
    You mean, Rics work without chorus?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321

I have a beaten up 381 and love it to pieces. Had this itch for twenty years and finally scratched it last year thanks to a nice gentleman from this very forum. 
    I thought we had an agreement that you wouldn't post pictures of it in case I miss it too much ;).

:)

Joking - it looks great. I think you've cleaned it!

I've still got the other two anyway...

In defiance of what GavRichList said, the 450 only weighs about 6lb as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

There you go, a bit of The ‘head, clean as whistle.