Iridium thoughts

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
in FX tFB Trader
Now the Iridium is a few months old how are people feeling about them?

As I mentioned I don't have the space to get my Helix LT out at the moment was pondering a gt 1000 core but tbh I don't really use FX that much so this would work just as well
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SunburstSunburst Frets: 121
    I love mine! Simple to use and really easy to access great tones without faffing about. It interacts really well with pedals and takes drives in a very amp like way. I mainly use the stock Fender and Vox amps and cabs and haven't loaded any additional IRs so far. 

My only minor gripe is the really cheap and buzzy power supply which came with it. I'm now powering it from my Cioks DC10 and it works perfectly, but for the price, I would have expected a more robust and reliable standalone power supply.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    very very good. Only sold mine as I bought an OX box, but there were a few moments where I thought of keeping it and sending the OX back as it really was that good. Personally preferred it from Helix but I'm going on helix 2.0 from memory.... 
  • The Iridium is going to have a strong rival very, very soon.  :)
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    I had one very early on (still do) and think part of what was attractive was the idea that maybe there was a future including updates/different amps/ possibility of spring reverb and stuff.

A year later and it seems like they're done with it, which is a bit less exciting?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    The Iridium is going to have a strong rival very, very soon.  :)
    Walrus ACS1? 
  • Yes indeed. And it's very nice.

@JohnCordy I was hoping there'd be some sort of Iridium sequel announced this week, maybe a NightSky-sized unit with more amps and cabs...

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited January 2021
    I loved the idea of the Iridium as I definitely suffer from option paralysis on a full modeler, but I'm still yet to hear any convincing demos for medium to high gain sounds without using external pedals. The Marshall model just seems muddy and dull and the Vox actually seems better for anything high gain! If they did a JCM800 version and added in a tubescreamer boost as you wind up the gain (like they do with the vox/treble booster) that'd be cool. Plus a 5153 or something, not that I can ever imagine strymon doing that sort of thing!

Mind you, that ACS1 sounds absolutely atrocious on the London amp in their demo video.