JoGLE scrounging

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
edited January 2021 in Off Topic
Hey all 

long time no speak 

I’ve decided to cycle John o Groats to lands end this year on a bike that I’ve build myself 

No particular reason other than to see if I can. I have a gravel bike frame and now I’m after bits to bolt to it. I know we have a big cycling contingent here so I thought I’d have a feel about to see if anyone has any bits that they might want to swap for pedals/guitars etc or just donate

I need 

1x11 group set - of any kind or bits thereof
gravel bars
wheels 
disc brakes 
seat post 
any frame bags and ting 
advice if you’ve done this run before 

I’m not doing it for charity - I’m doing a coast to coast ride in one day for charity in June (isle of sheppy to burham on sea) this one is purely for me 

obvs happy to pay for stuff if you have it too 

much love and stay safe 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4912
    No cycling input from me, sorry, but just wanted to say it's nice to see you back  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1817
    What size seat post? Diameter and length? I have one that I swapped out on my PlanetX Evo you can have if it fits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited January 2021
    Do lockdown regs allow you to cycle from one end of Britain to t'other?
    Maybe if you said you were going to have your eyes tested?
  • Sassafras said:
    Do lockdown regs allow you to cycle from one end of Britain to t'other?
    Maybe if you said you were going to have your eyes tested?
    Yes - it’ll be Covid dependent!!

• Brio said:
    What size seat post? Diameter and length? I have one that I swapped out on my PlanetX Evo you can have if it fits.
    27.2 X 350mm according to original spec sheet mate 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Can't really help with the gear but I've done it myself and my wife has done it on foot as well as by bike. 

I now live on the E2E "corridor" ie the A9, in Scotland.  Before the lockdown we used to run a bunkhouse/hostel and have had a lot of Lejog and Jogle pilgrims over the years, not just cyclists either.   I'm happy to offer any advice based on my own experience and that of others. 

One immediate thought which I offer to anyone coming this way, is don't be too ambitious time wise if you intend to follow the Sustrans routes, - parts of the dedicated cycle tracks are in very poor condition and receive very little maintenance.  

Obviously you'll have to wait until the end of the Scottish lockdown at least - that could be at least Easter the way things are going - but I'd try and get it done in May or June.  For a start the weather in Scotland is usually much more settled (than later in summer) the wind tends to stay in the South/West, you have long, long, daylight hours, and it's easier to find accommodation.  When folk come up here in the school hols  they are often amazed at how difficult it is to find a place to stay.  

• BrioBrio Frets: 1817
    I’ll dig it out and measure it.
  • Neill said:
    Can't really help with the gear but I've done it myself and my wife has done it on foot as well as by bike. 

I now live on the E2E "corridor" ie the A9, in Scotland.  Before the lockdown we used to run a bunkhouse/hostel and have had a lot of Lejog and Jogle pilgrims over the years, not just cyclists either.   I'm happy to offer any advice based on my own experience and that of others. 

One immediate thought which I offer to anyone coming this way, is don't be too ambitious time wise if you intend to follow the Sustrans routes, - parts of the dedicated cycle tracks are in very poor condition and receive very little maintenance.  

Obviously you'll have to wait until the end of the Scottish lockdown at least - that could be at least Easter the way things are going - but I'd try and get it done in May or June.  For a start the weather in Scotland is usually much more settled (than later in summer) the wind tends to stay in the South/West, you have long, long, daylight hours, and it's easier to find accommodation.  When folk come up here in the school hols  they are often amazed at how difficult it is to find a place to stay.  

Thanks chap 

any intel greatly appreciated 

im looking at 2nd week July currently and yes, it’s all Covid dependent !!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I do alot of cycling in Perthshire and partially echo Neil's comments. I would also add, spend time planning your route and look for minor road alternatives to the trunk roads. There is nearly always a much more pleasant minor road not too far away.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Yeah I plan to use sustrans and gravel where I can