Recommend me a soldering iron

What's Hot
I've had a 40W Silverline soldering station for many years, but it finally cacked over yesterday. I liked the iron-holder on it, but beyond that I felt I needed something a little more powerful, as I always had it on the highest setting.

I see MachineMart has 100W one, but anyone else got a view on the subject?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    What type of things will you be soldering? For guitars it’s useful to have two soldering irons. Something between 18w and 25w for joining wires and connecting them to switch and pot terminals, and a large cheap one around 60w for soldering earth wires to the back of pots. If you’re soldering wires to circuit boards then then you might need a third, not because 18w is too powerful, but because you need a finer tip.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    edited January 2021
    Generally the wattage isn't what defines how hot it gets but the design of the iron and how you use it. A proper temperature controlled iron will keep the tip the same temperature when you touch it to the cool metal .. this is what makes soldering with a decent iron so easy. 

I have used a Weller soldering station for 25 years of soldering every day. I have no idea what the modern ones are like because this one has never broke. I use it for everything from tiny SM components on laptops to large shielding cans and soldered on heatsinks. 

You can sometimes get a bargain on Ebay, I brought this model for £48 a while ago just so I could have 2 irons on my bench with different tips to avoid having to change tips 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weller-Soldering-Iron-Station-PS-2D-With-Temperature-Controlled-Soldering-Penci/174597768627?hash=item28a6d685b3:g:NSIAAOSwMdVgAcOP&autorefresh=true  ;
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    I bought this one about a year ago - yup, it's cheap and Chinese which normally doesn't bode well but I have to say it's been excellent so far.

It's variable temperature so you can whop it up for some heavy lifting jobs and then lower the temps for more delicate work.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I bought one of these over a year ago, £12.99 free delivery. It's been the most useful soldering iron I have ever owned. The variable temp, although just a cheap little thing has worked superbly. Lower temp good for most stuff but you can whack it up for back of pots etc. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60W-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Electronics-Welding-Irons-Solder-Tools-Adjustable-Temp-UK/113609277156?hash=item1a73a3fee4:g:lOEAAOSwkqtcU7Xu

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I've just bought a cheap-shit iron to tide me over for now so I have a bit more time to procrastinate. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I keep looking at a Hakko, but they aren't cheap.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    By a Weller Workstation with TCP Iron.

I bought one 2nd hand off eBay 10 years ago, still going strong. Every part of Iron is replaceable, I've only had to renew the "bit" once but have multiple bits to suit different jobs.
    Just had a go with the 100W cheapo iron. It’s too hot! Localised melting of wire insulation, so that’s out. Back to the search, and thanks to everyone who’s posted so far.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    100 watts is way too powerful for most jobs. I’ve got one that’s I use for soldering lead for stained glass work but that’s all. 25 watts is probably fine for most general work and wiring. 

If you can stretch to a Weller workstation with temp control go for it, I’ve had one for about 30 years that I ahem, acquired from work. It’s been bombproof apart from the cover on the lcd that shows the temp cracking. 
    edited January 2021
    I'm just having a look now. The Weller stuff is more expensive, and probably more than I want to pay. I have a Weller Pyropen that's about 20 years old which was a lot of money, and that has been OK, except it's a bit finicky on occasion.

The Silverline station one I had was about 42W which was perfect until it broke.

Bollocks, I'm gonna buy another one. £52 off eBay, it'll save all the fannying around.

Fuck me, that was an impressive start to finish decision process, eh? None of the usual procrastination, I might even make a decision on a toaster at some point.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Just don’t ask about Honda Civics eh?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    Oooooh!  I've got a story about Honda Civics!  Are we all sitting comf....   Wait....  Don't go!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Just had a go with the 100W cheapo iron. It’s too hot! Localised melting of wire insulation, so that’s out. Back to the search, and thanks to everyone who’s posted so far.

Just need to be quicker  ;)

Just need to be quicker  ;)
    I'm simply not good enough for that. I'm using 0.5mm wire, so there's a nanosecond between it being fine, and it melting!

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    I have a cheapo Draper soldering iron, not sure what the wattage is but it slowly melts the tip and I have to periodically regrind it.

That just gets used to remove frets these days.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I've a small cheap solder station, it's ok but the cheap cables don't flex very well in a cold workshop and tend to tip over the base unit as you move your working hand. I tend to use a cheap 25w basic iron as often as not because it's in the tool case with all the electrical bits. I also have a cheap soldering 'gun' for those jobs that require lots of heat or one touch jobs. Ive also got a gas iron somewhere but it's a faff and I've not used it in 10 years.
    The big standard 25w iron does most fixes these days and I've not done serious soldering for a long time.