THR30ii vs Vox adio air gt

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
Setting aside the almost unbearable vox ugliness , what’s the verdict on sound and features?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got both and there's not much in it. I bought the original three models of THR10 (separately, over time) and thought they all sounded great, but the Vox sounded a bit better to me and was far more practical to use as the Bluetooth function and superb app swung it for me. So, when the THRII 30 came out, I bought one but I honestly thought the sound was inferior to both the original THRS and the Vox. I returned it after sitting it alongside the Vox and A/B-ing them.

However, a year or so on and I bought one again, as wifey was getting fed up with the various small amps in the living room,and the THR was the only one that looked 'acceptable' to her on the bookcase - thankfully there has been a firmware update since I first bought it,and the sound has improved and isn't so boxy any more.  It takes, in my experience, an AWFUL LOT of time to tweak good tones out of the new THR, but eventually it will get you there.

DISCLAIMER - I moved my Vox upstairs in the end, intending to use it in the bedroom, but I hardly ever play up there and so have stuck it in the classifieds here now.  I honestly think it's on a par, sonically, with the new THR, and I think it beats it on many of the higher gain tones tbh, especially for Soldano or Orange type tone.  Cleans is a dead heat in my opinion, but the Vox allows you to add lots of FX 'pedals' to the chain which may offer more to the tweaker than the more limited FX on the Yammy.
     The app is slightly better on the Vox, too, in my opinion, although hasn't been updated very often. The THR looks better, though, and keeps wifey happy.....plus has wireless built in which she also appreciates in the living room.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackdreamBlackdream Frets: 16
    edited January 2021
    I’ve just bought a Vox Adio to use in the living room with headphones whilst Mrs Blackdream watches the TV. Some of the sounds are quite good, some not so good. It can link to phones / tablets using Bluetooth, which is good for jam tracks or using a metronome app. It sounds ok through its speakers and it can get quite loud. It’s not quite as hideously ugly as thought it was from looking at pictures and videos on the net. It’s early days, but I quite like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    Thank you all for the advice . 

Also I was wondering if I got the basic THRii without the inbuilt lithium batteries .... is there a way to use a power bank solution  in the rare event inbred to take it outside?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom