HRD IV cutting out

EskiEski Frets: 35
I’m guessing these two things are linked - about a week ago I (inadvertently) left my HRD on standby for maybe 3 or 4 days.  All seemed OK when I last played it but tonight it just went quiet for a few seconds a couple of times and then came back again.

I guess this is due to the fact that I left it on standby for so long - maybe the valves have been impacted (hopefully nothing too much more serious).

Obviously my own fault so I can’t complain.  Any thoughts, can I just get a new set of valves or do I need to stop using and visit an amp tech?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    It's unlikely to be the valves.

Most likely a failed solder joint or other bad contact. When it goes quiet, does it go to that immediately, or fade out over a few seconds?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EskiEski Frets: 35
    It’s more fade than immediate.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    That’s most likely to be a filament connection - have a look and see which valves are still glowing when it goes quiet. It’s most likely to be a solder joint, but it could possibly be a preamp valve or the contact to it’s socket. If any of the valves are dim (preamp valves), check whether one or both sides are dead - it will give you an idea where to look on the PCB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info - I’ll see if I can spot anything this evening.  Cheers.
    Can’t get it to do it again at the moment.  I’ll continue to monitor.  I think all the valves are glowing at about the same level.