Jazz book recommendation

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
jazz ballad book c/w cd, would be good, for easy(ish) jazz ballad standards, tab of course  :)

think of anything?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited January 2021
    There's plenty out there but no single book will give you everything.
    Howard Morgens books are good, and I've read good reviews of the Martin Taylor one.
    'Solo Jazz Guitar' by Bill Hart is one I have.
    I would NOT recommend anything by Ted Greene, but go to his website and dowload a couple of his simpler arrangement charts to try.  Some of the blues charts are great.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Have you looked at Frank Vignola on truefire ....he has all that type of thing downloadable to print...and how to play it....loads of exercises ect and only £7 a month 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Barney said:
    Have you looked at Frank Vignola on truefire ....he has all that type of thing downloadable to print...and how to play it....loads of exercises ect and only £7 a month 
    I was about to post the same . His jazz Etudes may just be what you are after
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Jazz mags any good, Hoots?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Lookin' for a concise book Hatty with a whole bunch of walkin' bass type standards thanks
    tae be or not tae be
  • ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 34
    edited January 2021
    If you're on Truefire, have a look at Tim Lerch's "Solo Jazz Pathways (Harmonic Enhancement)" - it starts with a really simple melody, he then  harmonizes this starting with C and G and then substitutes the hell out of it!

Then moves on to some tunes, a basic version, a second version, then an enhanced version:

Red River Valley
    Amazing Grace
    Star
    Oh Danny Boy
    Lady be good

I recently bought Howard Morgen's course which is good for understanding chords and their inversions (though isn't really a song book). Will have a look at Frank Vignola's Jazz etudes myself...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Have a look at the FretDojo website too, starting with the 30 day jazz challenge. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    http://jazzguitar.be/ 

I wanted to learn some Jazz basics to get me out of my 20 year  indie, rock & blues rut, there’s two free PDF books you can download here with sound samples and backing tracks. I’ve enjoyed it so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    @Hootsmon ;
    Did you manage to find anything?
    I’ve got a few days left on my Amazon Prime membership before it runs out & wanted to get a jazz book.

Been looking today at Real Books, but not sure what one to go for, except it should be “C” instruments & the latest edition if possible, as these should have less mistakes?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Barney said:
    I was about to post the same . His jazz Etudes may just be what you are after
    3rd'ed Either via Truefire, or his BigJerseyGuitarClub website - currently signed up for his practice regime - twice a week = $9 / month.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    duotone said:
    @Hootsmon ;
    Did you manage to find anything?
    I’ve got a few days left on my Amazon Prime membership before it runs out & wanted to get a jazz book.

Been looking today at Real Books, but not sure what one to go for, except it should be “C” instruments & the latest edition if possible, as these should have less mistakes?

Duo

a good place tae start would be Martin Taylor on Amazon books
    tae be or not tae be