Nylon Strung Martins

TDubsTDubs Frets: 706
I pulled a battered classical guitar out the loft at the start of lockdown and it's been the guitar i've played the most since then. Of course, as the guitar is terrible I thought it only right that I buy a new one! Started looking at Cordoba, Takamine and Yamaha as options and then got a 'guitar token' from the Mrs and family for a big birthday so the budget increased quite drastically. The sensible (maybe boring) side of me has always bought guitars that are well priced or decent investments (my reasoning with myself  for having too many) and read a few posts about classical guitars depreciating greatly. This made me think twice about plunging a lot of cash into something that will depreciate. 

I have a few 60s Fender's and Gibson's and I stumbled across the Martin nylon guitars from the 50s/60s/70s such as the 00-18G/C and 00-28G/C.

Has anyone on here got one of the old nylon Martins and have any feedback on them? Or anyone played one? They seem to have a wider nut which I like the idea of but seem to be some comments about them not being that loud. For those who have one or played one, how much quieter are they compared to a standard classical? Are they overpriced for what they are (a vintage Martin) or any enjoyable, decent instrument? Anyone played the newer 000C nylon martin (I don't dig the cutaway)?

I tend to play fingerpicking stuff with the odd classical guitar piece and the folky nature of the old nylon martins appeal to me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    I have tried playing new Martins at  trade fairs . I like Marin guitars , thay are well built and durable . Their  nylon strung guitars  are also well made and expensive .  Personally , I think thay are too heavy and lack the sensitivity of a good clasic guitar . 
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 706
    more said:
    I have tried playing new Martins at  trade fairs . I like Marin guitars , thay are well built and durable . Their  nylon strung guitars  are also well made and expensive .  Personally , I think thay are too heavy and lack the sensitivity of a good clasic guitar . 
    Cheers. I had planned to try out one of the newer 000c Martin's but lockdown isn't helping with this
  • I'm on a similar hunt myself.
    I've been looking mainly at Spanish made but had a quick glance for a martin and couldn't find much used.

Used is where the bargains are.

This thread is probably worth a look

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/141752/

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 706
    Thanks, that was one of the few threads on here that I read mentioning buying used etc. There seems to be a lot of low to low mid end stuff on the market but mid to high range stuff seems rarer. Some of the higher end stuff that is around seems riskier as although the specs seem decent, solid woods etc, sometimes you can't seem to find out about the [insert Spanish sounding name] luthier or the guitar in question. Seems a bit more difficult a search from when i've looked for electrics before.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    I don't know your budget but if you are looking at Martins ......

This lovely used K Yairi CY TME nylon classical guitar came up on eBay recently https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-Yairi-CY-TME-nylon-classical-guitar/174599764308  (the model used by Dominic Miller - famous for his work with Sting and his own original works)

If it was left-handed then I would have been in there!