Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rickenbacker unveil limited edition 480XC and 4005XC

What's Hot
oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
No details yet but I'm sure the prices will be eye watering especially the bass.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72303
    Surely they've made them the wrong way round? A guitar that's a bass and a bass that's a guitar...

:)

And just when I thought I didn't want anything else!

Annoyingly, the bass is a much nicer shape than an original 4005. Fortunately, it's also likely to be impossibly expensive...

The guitar is of slightly less interest but still very nice. Needs a Kahler though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Are they as good as Harley-Benton lookalike models after a pickup upgrade and a set-up?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Are they as good as Harley-Benton lookalike models after a pickup upgrade and a set-up?
    Good point. If I buy the bass I'll need another pair of those SeiQ Toasterbuckers... I'll need to check if I can afford the extra £38 first!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Kent747Kent747 Frets: 253
    Is anything?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Both awesome. 

But I'm guessing they'll be £5k each? Ouch
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22776
    ICBM said:
    Surely they've made them the wrong way round? A guitar that's a bass and a bass that's a guitar...

That was my thought on first glance, why's the bass got such a short neck and why's the guitar so huge?

I'm not a Rickenbacker person, but I quite like the look of that bass guitar with the black hardware.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    ICBM said:

:)

And just when I thought I didn't want anything else!

Annoyingly, the bass is a much nicer shape than an original 4005. Fortunately, it's also likely to be impossibly expensive...

The guitar is of slightly less interest but still very nice. Needs a Kahler though.

Hmmm, yes - a trem would be good on the guitar.

The bass isn't got me, but lots of folks have been after a 4005.
  • Hate the flamey PRS-alike finish. Tacky tinsel finish on an otherwise nice guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    Both seem to be answering a question nobody asked, imo...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited January 2021
    There’s been huge demand for a 4005 reissue for years. Originals are very rare and stupidly expensive.

But typically for Rickenbacker, this is not it, despite the model number - possibly for production reasons (it’s clearly a 330 body), and possibly because they just seem to have a pathological inability to do what their customers want...

The irony is that the only 330-shape basses I can think of in the past are cheap short-scale Japanese copies.

• The bass will sell out instantly I bet, no matter what the price 
  • The bass will sell out instantly I bet, no matter what the price 
    agreed. They won't be able to make those fast enough. That said, that's kinda Rickenbacker's SOP anyway. 
  • They seem to be for their 90th anniversary, so maybe they’ll make 90 each 
  • Love them both, but for the weird top on the guitar. Like, the oblong centre section really makes it look worse than a flame top. And a flame top looks bad on that as it is...

Mind you, they're both bloody lovely looking. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like the bass.
    I don't like the guitar - at all.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Sorry but both are "no" from me.

Semi Acoustic bass makes no sense to me - sorry, but it just makes them uneven in output and unless you are playing in a 1960s tribute band, I can't see any point. 
    The guitar is butt-fuck ugly. Its like a child drew the outline of a guitar, got bored halfway through and went back to CeeBeeBees. Its just awkward for the sake of being "cool" - and the mix of black hardware with that clownburst just looks cheap. 

Rickie could do so much better than this (and have done previously). Try innovating rather than making stuff nobody wanted 30 years ago and realistically very few would use them now ...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I just don't get rickenbackers.
    Surprisingly I like the styling of the guitar more than the bass - but it's just a two-humbucker guitar, and there are thousands of those already. The bass is at least somewhat different from most currently available ones - although I have to say I would probably find the pickup positions too restrictive soundwise. My favourite bass sounds all come from middle pickups - which the 4001 'bridge' pickup actually is.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I can't decide if that guitar is all shades of wrong.......or wonderful.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • ICBM said:
    There’s been huge demand for a 4005 reissue for years. Originals are very rare and stupidly expensive.

But typically for Rickenbacker, this is not it, despite the model number - possibly for production reasons (it’s clearly a 330 body), and possibly because they just seem to have a pathological inability to do what their customers want...

The irony is that the only 330-shape basses I can think of in the past are cheap short-scale Japanese copies.
    Unless you are the Edge, in which case if you want a 330-12 with the wider 660 neck they can rustle you up a couple no problem