Airy, ambient chords....

What's Hot
Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
Hiya, I've always been fine at transcribing and working out single lines but really struggled with chords.

Basically, I really like what Rabea is playing beginning at 19:11 here but can't figure it out - 

That it's on a Baritone, in C and I don't have either a Bari or a capo is making it really hard to figure out what is going on.

My harmony is reasonable so, presented with the chords or notes, could figure out why it works.... I just can't work out what they are! Also, I can't seem to tie up where I see his fingers (looking for clues in the vid!!) in relation to what I'm hearing.

Is anyone who's really hot at this stuff got 10 minutes to figure it out or able to give me a rough idea of what's going on? I'm hearing what feels like G9/D to start, but could also be kind of a D6... argh!!!

I've started to listen to some stuff like Ry-X (for example) and this has a similar ambient, airyness and I'd love to start messing around with similar progressions if anyone has any good resources for this kind of thing.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Check out John Cordy's youtube, he has some interesting lessons on this type of thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Lodious said:
    Check out John Cordy's youtube, he has some interesting lessons on this type of thing. 
    I’m already subscribed!! I tend to just end up listening to his super tasty playing... I should actually watch some of the lessons. You’re right - he does a fair bit of this sort of stuff. Good shout cheers!
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited January 2021
    He's playing open (or spread) triads. If you're in standard tuning he's pretty much playing these, with some embellishments here and there ...

G  3-5-x-4-x-x
    Bm 7-9-x-7-x-x
    Em 0-2-x-0-x-x

Am 5-7-x-5-x-x
    G 3-5-x-4-x-x
    D/A 5-5-4-x-x-x

G  3-5-x-4-x-x
    Bm 7-9-x-7-x-x
    Em 12-14-x-12-x-x

D 10-12-x-11-x-x
    Dsus 10-12-x-12-x-x
    A/C# 9-x-7-9-x-x
    C 8-10-x-9-x-x

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    edited January 2021
    At 19:10 he plays Dm add 9 then B over G implying G maj chord then D over B implying Bm chord

Then rest on G over B Then imply Am - G - A over F#

Basically a lot of it is taking 2 notes of a chord to  imply it ... for example  picking a D note and a lower B note at the same time implies a B minor chord but sounds more spacey and interesting. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    It’s like the beginning of that Eric Clapton song about his son - what was it again
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    That’s really helpful cheers chaps! Absolute gents.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @Dan_Halen ; here's one of my early talks about this but there's quite a few spread Triad discussions on my channel now if you go on the lessons/licks playlist

Nice one cheers John. That looks super helpful and just what I’m after as well. Need to expand my chordal repertoire a bit having neglected it for... about 25 years or so!