My 1st Project Guitar - Tele Deluxe/Cabronita/Jazzmaster hybrid??

gambitgambit Frets: 5
edited July 2014 in Guitar
so i just bought a couple of tele deluxe guitar bodies on ebay. one swamp ash, one alder.. grand total: £62 (both 2-piece bodies)

imageimage

this'll be my first attempt at putting together a guitar from scratch. i've switched pickups before, but this should be pretty interesting..

so now some difficult decisions must be made.. what finish, parts, pickups, maple neck? i'm leaning towards doing something significantly 'different' and sticking a Jaguar trem with a roller bridge on it since it worked so well on the Squier JMJM i had. and trying to keep the bridge-trem distance more vintage-Jag/JM. these mock-ups only allow this more 'Classic Player' bridge distance, but i think those finer details will make for a genuinely cool guitar..

i really like the way the larger Tele Deluxe pickguards compliment the big WRHP's.. but i'm interested in getting a new sound (for me) with a Filtertron-equipped guitar to go alongside my Squier Jazzmaster / Epi Dot.

anyway, i'd be interested to hear your opinions on the look and practicality of these..
(or make your own version and post them up!: http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/yswtct-kisekae-e.asp#Kisekae VIM System )

imageimage

i don't know nearly enough about the specifics of body woods, but was aiming for a fairly bright sound, so took a punt on these. would a maple neck be overkill on the brightness with the poky Fidelitron style pickups? or a good addition to the mellow WRHP's?

i was considering putting a Jaguar pickup selector on here somewhere (i like that Tone Cut switch), or like a Jaguar rhthym switch which instead of mellowing out the sound, would just bypass any tone control on the guitar for a different, fuller (?) sound. but where to put it?

i guess i'll dicover a few things along the way. i suppose this could be considered a dry run for making my perfect Jazzmaster.. but maybe i'll get lucky and nail the perfect Tele along the way. sell on the spare tele.. but, whatever.. exciting times!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    First one looks a bit too busy to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom