Guild D40

I was looking at this Guild.  I like the fact it's not a martin or Gibson and seems reasonablely priced. 

But are there any pros/cons one should be aware of with this model?

https://www.glennsguitars.com/2000-guild-d40-1199/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bought a very similar guitar many years ago 2nd hand. Stupidly, I sold it to a friend and he won't let me buy it back. It had a huge sound and was very resonant. However, it was a LOT cheaper than the one you are looking at although it had been damaged and repaired.
  • PS

Have you seen the ad for a Fylde Orsino? In much the same price bracket and should be a better quality guitar.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    I have a D40 Traditional in sunburst (I wish it was natural, but burst and rosewood fretboards do look great together), not as mature as the one for sale here.  It's a little more work to play because the scale is something like 25.6", compared to a Gibson 24.75" scale.  But the payoff is undoubtedly worth it in the tone and the top-end specs from headstock on down.  It should be nearly as bassy as a Martin D18, and in my opinion it boasts better mids and overall articulation and clarity than a Martin.

They're all a little different, but that's the gist I think.  I think the one you have here is slightly overpriced, especially since the case isn't original (they are supposed come with a "humidicase" nowadays), but it should be a fantastic guitar assuming the neck is straight and the frets are in order.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited January 2021
    No experience of the later ones - but I used to own a late 70s Guild Dreadnought. It was over-built and nothing like a Martin in terms of tone. I sold it and bought a D28 - so in reality, a false economy for me.

I’ve owned the Martin for nearly thirty years. There’s no reason why a good acoustic shouldn’t be with you for life, so it’s worth making sure you buy the right one.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2192
    Hmm, maybe I'll wait for a nice D18 to come up 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845

I'm a big guild fan and have owned about 5 4 being acoustics, they have neve really had bad years, how'ver I find the westerly and hobken ones to be truly stunning instruments, they don't have their value as well as other but they are just as well made 
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Guilds have been pretty consistently good throughout the years. The New Hartford Guilds are truly remarkable though. I understand some of the earlier Fender built Guilds, which I think this one is, had so e teething issues to look out for.