The one riff I've never been able to play

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5628
Setting Me Up.

I've listened intensely.  I've watched YouTube videos; some use standard tuning, some open A, some use a capo at the 2nd fret, others don't'. Some play the riff with three strings, other just two.

I've even got tab for it but nothing I do sounds anything like the record.

As it's a Knopfler song I expect the trick in in the right hand.  I've even watched Knopfler play it and even he doesn't sound like the record.

How on earth does it work?  What kind of dark magic must I learn to be able to crack this song?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Albert Lee covered Setting Me Up on his ‘Hiding’ album. It might be worth listening to that version for some perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    Yeah, I've heard Albert's version (and Eric's for that matter) but neither of them seem to play it the same way as the Knopf.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    edited January 2021
    Never heard it to be honest. I'll go find it .... (EDIT) er yeah, much too tricky for me!

A riff I can never get right (one of many!) is Black dog. The timing seems a bit ... weird.
    I grew up listening to DS from the age of four and the first DS album is still my favourite album of all time. 

So, I’m pretty good with the old picking but just can’t nail this one. Oh and Money for Nothing I am also unable to play properly, too, although I can play a passable version. 

Some players' styles are so particular to them that it can be a huge challenge to imitate then. Mark Knopfler definitely falls into this category - unless you accurately replicate his right hand technique you're never going to get close. I can 'play' Sultans but it doesn't sound 'right'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited January 2021
    axisus said:
    Never heard it to be honest. I'll go find it .... (EDIT) er yeah, much too tricky for me!

A riff I can never get right (one of many!) is Black dog. The timing seems a bit ... weird.
    That's one of the very few I can summon up on demand, oddly.

Can't ever get the Layla one right though.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    axisus said:

That's one of the very few I cna summon up on demand, oddly.

'Oddly' is the only way to play it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    edited January 2021
    I love that kind of playing. Oddly it was Greg Koch who helped me get to understand what's going on with Knoplers right hand. There's a video where he's talking about chicken pickin and listening to Dire Straits records and he plays a quick snatch of a riff with Knoplers style and I realised it's all the muted notes between the real ones and the pedal against the root that gives it that sound. Hard to explain but since watching that video I've been much more convincing at copying him.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Ooh, I love early Dire Straits.  If I get time later I'll have a look at 'Setting Me Up'.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited January 2021
    Now you made me look, dammit.

This is the best I can explain with a simpler right hand, needs more snap and swing but you get the gist of the melody etc. Rear camera has reversed image.

Capo at 2 and drop the A string down a step.

Cheers dude, that looks/sounds pretty good.  I'll see if I can use that as reference to get it sounding right.

Ta very big!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

Not heard this till today!.. nice one. Little vid for you...

https://youtu.be/Q9Hl199ZUP4

it’s in open A... and... there are two guitars on the recording ;) listen with cans on and you’ll hear it :) I’ve looped the intro for you at half speed and then at full speed below:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/P83CRaCV5pfioaj36

Peace out x x x

Thanks.  Been going over it myself this afternoon, almost had it at one point before my daughter waltzed in and interrupted my concentration.

I'm not sure about the pull off from 3 / 0 on the D string (or whatever it is in this tuning). It's natural to add it in because it feels right but I'm not hearing it on the record.

It also feels natural to do the 3 / 5 slide in the main riff on the third time round before the turnaround but that's not there either and I can't find a right hand rhythm that works without it.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Listen to the soundcloud link... that’s the original recording... the second guitar is slightly left and it’s playing the bass note... that’s what’s throwing the rhythm out... 
    Yeah I've got it open in Transcribe! panned hard right to get rid of the second guitar.  The bass note is still played by the main guitar though, I think.

Although the rhythm is much easier without it.  I can do it with the bass note until it gets to the third time round, it feels natural to slide up to the 5th again (and it actually works and doesn't sound wrong) but it isn't what's on the record.

It seems that there's just a lot of open strings in that space instead and I can't get the rhythm working.