Whats your opinion on this Frankenstrat

What's Hot
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/111307227/usa-evh-frankenstrat-musikraft.html

seller says its has following hardware

1984 gen floyd rose brass block and fine tuners schaller m6 borne zero friction 500k pot evh custom pickup hand wound seymour duncan,evh dtuna

its been offered to me as a swap for my jem
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    What jem are you thinking of swapping it for, and what does the seller say he things the parts guitar is worth?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    I like the look of that.Bit of a gamble with a partscaster though.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • a 70VSFG - seller says his is valued at £1600 which seems optimistic
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Ha not a chance, you will never get that money back for a parts guitar, and yours is worth alot more, he may have nice bits but people to not pay that sort of money for a 2nd hand parts make guitar,, you will lose money, please don't do it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The idea was to trade and then sell as i have not had any serious cash offers for the Jem and assumed i would get more luck trading on the EVH.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    edited July 2014
    It's hard to say.

Jem's aren't the most fashionable at the moment, I'd say you'd struggle to get much more than £600 for a used one, even in immaculate condition.

Partscasters rarely command prices above £600 either, but if you were prepared to put up with the hassle of parting it out you could conceivably get a little more than for the Jem..

Alternatively if you're just looking for a change of guitar rather than cash in your hand it may be a fair enough deal.

If you want cash quickly though you'd be better off putting the Jem up for £525-550 and someone should take it off your hands.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Looks nice but I agree, £600 would be my top whack for a partsocaster whatever the spec was. Value at £1600 is well and truly having a laff. You don't put one together and expect to make money out of it, you expect to take a massive hit.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    If you're looking at it to swap and then sell I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. He's probably got the same idea in offering it as trade because no one will buy it.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Is it me or are those tuners positioned incredibly badly?
    The buttons only just clear the face of the headstock. Clearly it was drilled for something else first but those Schallers just look odd on there.
    To be fair, my post is based on the assumption that his is in good nick. The photos are terrible, I'd ask for some decent ones.

I'm afraid neither is a good guitar to be looking to sell. I know you're after a PRS, but realistically you're unlikely to trade either of those for any PRS other than perhaps a CE, and still with cash on top.

If you're looking to buy a DGT, then getting cash and accepting that you're still going to have to add about £600 to that is probably the way to do it.

The used market for the most part is terrible I'm afraid. I sold an American Standard telecaster with Bare Knuckle pickups about 4 months ago to fund a Derek Trucks SG (I'm not a huge fan or anything but wanted a 1 piece body and a nicer bit of rosewood than comes with a standard), still had to add nearly £500 to get it.

PRS seem to be holding their value a bit better recently. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Blue?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I am happy to add cash to get a prs. Any thing from £600 to a grand
    I am happy to add cash to get a prs. Any thing from £600 to a grand
    Best bet for a quick deal would be sell for a low enough price to make it shift quickly. You seem pretty set on the PRS, so trading to see if you like the EVH wouldn't be an option, and as far as selling goes, it's worth no more than your Jem (probably less looking at the great condition your Jem is in).

If the EVH is in pristine condition and good quality then you could probably part it out for a bit over £600, but it's a hassle.
    I'd say you're out of luck as far as trading against a DGT goes, it's a very different guitar, and the sort of player with a guitar that's a bit higher end like a DGT would probably be looking for something like a Jem 7V rather than a 70V if that's what they were after.

Hope you sell soon and we get a NGD thread with pictures!