Online jamming solutions - what is available

What's Hot
Anyone clued up on what is available to support playing withy your band online? Trying to set something up so a band can practice and play together, but with everyone being based at their own homes.

Reading about JamKazam, but that looks like it has some issues with latency.

I've watched a few "isolation" sessions, where all the band are in their own homes, so looking to get something similar

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    It's not possible, not with proper real life timing.  The latency depends on you connection to your router, your broadband provider and all kinds of stuff. You will never get in sync. 

You can do a serial chain but then the only the last guy gets the full jam 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I set up Jamkazam last night with a mate and it was pretty bloody good. Not perfect, but we were easily able to have jam and work through ideas. 

The only downside I found yesterday is that it doesn't accept x64 bit plugins, so I couldn't use Helix Native or the Neural DSP plugins I wanted. S-Gear does work.

It's a faff to set up, and certainly doesn't work over wifi, but with an ethernet cable directly into the router, it's quite amazing what it can do.

The interface is clunky as hell though....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Here's an article about using Jamulus by a chap that I know (concertena playing retired IT guy, they're a rare breed).

Latency is always going to be an issue and forget about using wireless.  In the piece Chris said that he hadn't tried using powerline extenders.  I've looked at the ping time on mine and I think that it should be ok (it's still less than a tenth of the wireless ping), but that is only part of the latency story.

Chris also suggests that you should disconnect everything else in the house using broadband whilst trying to use Jamulus.  I should point out that his wife is also a musician and he doesn't have teenage kids.  That isn't going to happen in my household.

What I've been doing with my bands, with mixed results, is to pass tracks back and forth using various file share services.  We each put our parts down then keep going around the loop re-recording to fit in better with the others (we've not been recording real drums with either band).
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Thanks all, pluggin directly into a router isn't going to be an option, I don't think. The above info does help though,. cheers
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Musicwolf said:
    Here's an article about using Jamulus by a chap that I know (concertena playing retired IT guy, they're a rare breed).

Latency is always going to be an issue and forget about using wireless.  In the piece Chris said that he hadn't tried using powerline extenders.  I've looked at the ping time on mine and I think that it should be ok (it's still less than a tenth of the wireless ping), but that is only part of the latency story.

Chris also suggests that you should disconnect everything else in the house using broadband whilst trying to use Jamulus.  I should point out that his wife is also a musician and he doesn't have teenage kids.  That isn't going to happen in my household.

What I've been doing with my bands, with mixed results, is to pass tracks back and forth using various file share services.  We each put our parts down then keep going around the loop re-recording to fit in better with the others (we've not been recording real drums with either band).
    I tried powerline adapters first, but the electrical circuit in this house is so crap it couldn't keep a constant connection and kept dropping. Now i'm using an elegant solution of a 15 metre ethernet cable across the floor from one room to another.....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Always use ethernet if possible, reduces the lag as wifi can cut your connection speed by up to 50%. Also closing any windows signed into your email as that can use up bandwidth to check for messages every 30 seconds.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Even when plugged directly in to a router you're still at the mercy of many other factors when it comes to latency. Ultimately, it's not possible to get it latency free, and even with really good broadband and everyone hard wired to routers, "just about bearable" is probably the best you can hope for. 

Pretty much all these lockdown collaboration videos you're seeing are done with the performers recorded separately. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    In my experience nothing works...even slight latency drive you nuts...th vids you have seen are almost certainly recorded separate and edited 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    yes, it does seem to be a bit of a pipe dream unfortunately. 
    Trying to keep my teenager's spirits up at the moment. Feeling the strain.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Snap said:
    yes, it does seem to be a bit of a pipe dream unfortunately. 
    Trying to keep my teenager's spirits up at the moment. Feeling the strain.
    The back and forth recording, video , editing lark can be quite fun though?...I did this Jam track with an enthusiastic vocalist remotely and put it all together...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview