Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rolling Stones Live 1981 - who was the tour stylist?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited January 2021 in Music
Funny time the early '80s. I'm not sure who the Rolling Stones 1981 tour stylist was but I hope this wasn't the pinnacle of their career.

Not sure if Mick is expecting rain at Leeds but he has his shower cap on just in case and Ronnie has some silver welding goggles round his neck, well, you never know when you might need 'em. Bill looks like he's just come out the gym but Charlie's having none of it in his simple blue T-shirt.

Great guitar tones through those Mesa Boogies though!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    edited January 2021
    They look like their daily job is in the circus! The constant close ups don't exactly help either...

What a great performance, loose but tight. Always thought their first tour(s) with Ronnie were the best, but that's some lovely playing. The stand in saxofonist (?) too. They really seem to enjoy it all. And indeed, the guitars (in fact the whole band) sound great. I've been really digging Keith's tone during his first solo tours, and he was usually using the Mesa's there too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Well the 80s were both stylistically embarrassing and also amazing at the same time. 60s, 70s and 80s all seemed to have their own unique identity. It seems like the world ran out of ideas after that. Every decade since has been indistinctive.

Strange to see them so young
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dreadful filming, all the shots are way too tight. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Mick is wearing a nappy. 
    I guess it was quite fashionable in the early 80s to shit yourself on stage.  =)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    merlin said:
    Mick is wearing a nappy. 
    I guess it was quite fashionable in the early 80s to shit yourself on stage.  =)
    I reckon he's got some Spinal Tap padding around the 'old chap' to make him look more endowed

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    merlin said:
    Mick is wearing a nappy. 
    I reckon he's got some Spinal Tap padding around the 'old chap' to make him look more endowed
    I was a big Spirit/Randy California fan back in the day. Caught him live in the early 80s which was fab, but he had this ridiculous sock thing stuffed down his tight trousers. Clearly not his manhood!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    merlin said:
    Mick is wearing a nappy. 
    We've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Have to admit my first reaction was "Oooooh Betty..."  

The 70's had some cringe worthy fashions but the 80's took it to a whole new level.

But when you look back at the 60's everyone looks so cool.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Not sure if Mick is expecting rain at Leeds but he has his shower cap on just in case and Ronnie has some silver welding goggles round his neck, well, you never know when you might need 'em. Bill looks like he's just come out the gym but Charlie's having none of it in his simple blue T-shirt.

Charlie has always been the coolest.

I may be getting mixed up, but I seem to remember this being one of the first of those mega-tours where all of a sudden everyone was going round in Rolling Stones T-shirts, even people who normally had no interest in any kind of popular music.

I thought they were wrinkly old farts even at the time, but seeing this now it's remarkable how young they look.  Especially Bill, in my mind he's always looked 80 (unlike Keith, who really did always look 80, apart from a brief period in the mid-'60s).

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I'm more struggling more with the take an okay three minute single and drag it out to eight for no good reason aspect of this. Although Mick's run through a charity shop in the dark aesthetic not doing much for me either. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    They all look ludicrous apart from Charlie, even by the standards of the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Charlie Watts is one of the best dressed men in the UK, and has been for a long time. 

That is except for his mid life crisis period in the mid 80s, when allegedly he dabbled in the hard stuff, and was reduced to looking like a member of the Rolling Stones. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think Mick is the only one to look daft ,Keith looks cool as usual , Ronnie looks ok and Bill ,it was 81 
  • They were having fun on this tour. The Crossfire Hurricane documentary neatly makes the point that this was the Stones having come full circle and gained acceptance as entertainers on their own terms.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 387
    At least that video spared us from the most embarrassingly 80s part - Bill's Steinberger bass:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    idiotwind said:
    At least that video spared us from the most embarrassingly 80s part - Bill's Steinberger bass:

With the terrible zoom on the cameras it's hard to tell if Bill is playing the bass or having his testicles massaged, he seems quite happy either way.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2021
    axisus said:
    Well the 80s were both stylistically embarrassing and also amazing at the same time. 60s, 70s and 80s all seemed to have their own unique identity. It seems like the world ran out of ideas after that. Every decade since has been indistinctive.

Strange to see them so young

I don't know, have you been watching the 90's totp2? Some distinctive looks going on there. 

It seems that at the time it feels normal. It's only when you look back that you see how cringeworthy fashions are. 

80's stuff are in atm.
  • I was at the gig, I know it's not anything like their peak but I love this era of the Stones.

My avatar pic is from the Glasgow Apollo on the same tour, another gig I was lucky enough to attend. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited February 2021
    Not their peak but they were still a good live band during this period.

i think the style in the 80s was a consequence of people doing too many drugs in the 70s. 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    I was at the gig, I know it's not anything like their peak but I love this era of the Stones.

My avatar pic is from the Glasgow Apollo on the same tour, another gig I was lucky enough to attend. 
    Ha! I was there too (Glasgow Apollo). Had a bad cold/flu at the time and had to spend most of the gig lying down. I remember them starting with Keith playing the opening riff to Honky Tonk Women. Went on for ages before the band came in, and just that guitar on it’s own was the loudest thing I’d ever heard.