Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking of banging the skins again.

What's Hot
I fancy having a play on the old drums again but as I’m in a flat I’d need an electronic kit. I have plenty of space but not huge amounts of money, would a maximum of £1,000 get something decent please? 

Or is it just not worth it at that price point? Any suggestions much appreciated, thank you.

Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited January 2021
    Drumming is one of the best things I ever did. I haven't used the Alesis, but have a Roland TD17-KVX. The KV version is only slightly above your 1k budget, so a used one would be easily achievable I'm sure. 

I'm sure someone else who has tried others will also be able to comment. Don't forget to budget for a seat and bass pedal if the kit doesn't come with them (and hi-hat stand in some cases). And sticks, obv :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    It's a while ago now but I had a Yamaha electric kit which was very good, I'm sure even today it would be under £1000.  I went for Yamaha on the advice of a drummer friend who used his for live gigs - he said the sampling was better than on the other makes. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited January 2021
    Roland are better than anything else but all electronic kits suck.
    My advice is still to get a cheap acoustic kit, put mesh heads on it and use low volume cymbals.

You learn to play on a proper kit with correct dimensions, rebound is better and hi-hat control is pretty much the same.
    Hi-hats on e-kits are the biggest let down, especially for techniques like doubles and tip-shank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    My drummist mate started with a venerable Yamaha DTExpress, that did him for 4-5 yrs and he's upgraded to a Roland now.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Somebody I know bought one of the Alesis budget kits. To my untrained eye, nothing on it looked robust enough to survive for very long.  :s

Somebody else I knew had a double Roland kit and a monstrous Mackie PA to amplify it. That certainly shifted some air.

I am enormously fond of Iggy & The Stooges' Legendary NYC In-store Appearance video from 2003. Scott Asheton furnishes plenty of rock action on a bunch of cardboard boxes. 

Overall, I concur with octatonic about the physicality of an acoustic kit. The reach and the rebound need to go into muscle memory.

Finally, the volume control on an electronic drum kit only governs the sound pressure level of the triggered sounds through headphones or a loudspeaker. It does nothing to mitigate the noises from the sticks, pad surfaces and hardware. Those will resonate through walls, floors and ceilings.
    Be seeing you.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Electronic kits can still transmit a lot of thuds into the floor especially the kick pedal. Are your floors concrete? If not you might need to build a tennis ball isolation platform.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    In terms of sound transfer, we're in an apartment (admittedly a very heavily-built building). I've playied almost daily, with a thick rug under the kit, plus Roland "noise eater' pads under the pedals. 

I'm pretty sure the guys downstairs must be able to hear it if they're in the room below, but I've had no complaints to date.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    octatonic said:
    Roland are better than anything else but all electronic kits suck.
    My advice is still to get a cheap acoustic kit, put mesh heads on it and use low volume cymbals.

You learn to play on a proper kit with correct dimensions, rebound is better and hi-hat control is pretty much the same.
    Hi-hats on e-kits are the biggest let down, especially for techniques like doubles and tip-shank.
    Roland are clearly the pioneers, but if you ever get the chance then try a Pearl mimic. In my opinion, blows even the TD50 out of the water...but not cheap

my drummer used to be a rep for Roland V drums but even he at home uses an acoustic kit with silent mesh heads and cymbals
  • I'd go for a Crimson II over the DM10 stuff - the trigger technology is newer, iirc, and is basically the same tech behind the Strike Pro SE that I've just gotten.

Obviously I'm biased because of the new connection between BFD and Alesis via inMusic. 

But what I can say is the Strike Pro SE I've got absolutely floors all of the other e-kits I have experience with. I've played a Roland TD-20 quite a bit, and a TD6, a 2box, and a ddrum setup.

You should budget for a good stool and a hihat stand. Don't overtighten your mesh heads, and don't use a felt beater with mesh heads; use a plastic one.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've got a Yamaha DTX700K and a Roland TD25K. I've upgraded the pads on the roland to bigger ones all round.

I prefer the mesh heads on the roland but the sounds on the Yamaha. 

The drummer in my 80's band had an Alesis Strike Pro, it failed into the first song on its first time out.

He got a second one and that didn't make it more than two gigs before it failed.

He went back to his acoustic kit.

I have had the Yamaha packed away with throne, and hardware for the last year. Really need to get it sold.
  • Will you be bashing away on one skin, two skin, three skin, or...?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you all for your input.

This is my brother, who likes to play a little too and also the designer of the drumdeck. I really hope he doesn’t mind me putting this clip up but it’s on the tube so I guess not.

https://youtu.be/0kXhFoMPNQc

I’ve been texting with him also and he thinks I should splurge a little more and go for something like this:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-v-drums-acoustic-design-vad306-kit/933361?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoaqXjcS67gIVzO7tCh09mQIMEAQYBSABEgJ0Q_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can do it if I get off my arse and sell some pedals and unused recording gear/mics and what not.

I live on the ground floor which is solid so not a problem with any neighbours being underneath and any pad noise won’t be a problem either.

Any thoughts on that kit?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    Better than the Alesis but the hi-hats still suck and you can save yourself £1200-1500 by getting a used Yamaha stage custom, putting mesh heads on it and buying some Ziljian low volume cymbals.

It won't be any louder than an e-kit and you can choose your own sizes.
    You also won't lose a grand when you come to sell.

Seriously, there is no downside to doing this other than it won't 'sound' like a drum kit in terms of balance, but you can work on getting your cymbals low in volume and the power through the drums.
    This is what every drummer needs to do- loud drums, soft cymbals is the mark of someone who knows what they are doing, where loud cymbals, soft drums is the mark of an amateur.

I've owned three high end electronic kits now and I've lost money each time.
    This is my current practice kit: I can reskin it and go gig with my loud cymbals.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    you'll go blind
    tae be or not tae be
  • Why not get an acoustic kit with mesh heads and triggers? Best of both. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I think it depends what your goals are.

I have a very old yamaha DTXpress4. I am not a very good drummer, but good enough to enjoy it. 

The Pros:
    Play through headphones with backing tracks
    Midi out for easy recording and re-triggering with better samples
    Durable as hell as it's rubber. not mesh (I think I am 12 years with my kit and the pads are in great shape)
    An older used kit is very cheap

The cons
    Does not play like a real kit and spatially fells different
    Cymbals suck a lot
    Some techniques are just not achievable

For me it's a very good option as I like to record.

Never tried mesh heads and quiet cymbals so can't comment.

• neilgneilg Frets: 94
    octatonic said:
    Better than the Alesis but the hi-hats still suck and you can save yourself £1200-1500 by getting a used Yamaha stage custom, putting mesh heads on it and buying some Ziljian low volume cymbals.

Seriously, there is no downside to doing this other than it won't 'sound' like a drum kit in terms of balance, but you can work on getting your cymbals low in volume and the power through the drums.
    This is what every drummer needs to do- loud drums, soft cymbals is the mark of someone who knows what they are doing, where loud cymbals, soft drums is the mark of an amateur.

This is my current practice kit: I can reskin it and go gig with my loud cymbals.

I can without doubt say that kit would be quieter than my Roland for no other reason that if I was even able to fit it in the space I've got available I definitely wouldn't be able to get in and play it.
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    octatonic said:

@octatonic I’m thinking of setting my kit up at home again and would need serious decibel intervention. How quite (and I appreciate quite is subjective) are mesh heads on an acoustic kit. I’m guessing virtually silent? Also how’s the ‘feel’ compared to regular heads. And while I’m on a role (thank you, I’m here all week) have you experience of single, double and triple ply mesh? Any comment on preferences. Thanks 
    edited February 2021
    Triple ply or nothing, imho.
    You will need pillows in the bass drum, I use 4.
    And to stitch a bass drum patch onto the bass drum batter head unless you want to replace it every month.

They feel similar to real heads but not the same.
    The cymbals are louder but they are high pitched so don't penetrate walls as much.

In terms of volume, I live in a detached house in the country and have never had a complaint.
    I imagine if you share walls then you may do.
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    That’s helpful thank you.