SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1987 Hamer USA Chaparral Custom - Jim O'Connor Snakeskin-Set neck

What's Hot
Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
edited March 2021 in Guitars £
Good evening all,

This is last Hamer I’ll be parting with for a while - I've sold 8 over the last 12 months through all sorts of different routes

This one has been advertised variously for a while in different places so might be familiar to some FB members.

Annoyingly, I've had two consecutive deals with European buyers unhooked over the last month due to the additional costs they would be incurring to import and Tax costs post Brexit. and I got fed up with a very persistent Peeen-arse on Ebay who refused to make an official offer but loved messaging me with the same offer, over and over and over again...

I can whip up a verbose lyrical description if needed, but in the meantime - verbose Bullet points!

• 1987 Hamer USA Chaparral Custom
  • Factory Snakeskin graphic by Jim O’Connor - signed by Jim 
Jim did a lot of the graphics you'll see on guitars from the 80s and 90s (Hamer, BC Rich, Charvel, Jackson and Steinberger and others) - including a lot of famous guitars owned by the famous players of the era, Van Halen, Michael Anthony, Lita Ford, Kiss, Michael Fath, Steve Stevens and others. Jim is active on the 80s guitar forums on Facebook - and shots of his work are well appreciated. You can find more of his stuff on google image searches.
  • Honduras Mahogany body
  • Three-piece stressed maple set neck. Medium C, very comfortable.
  • Rosewood fingerboard
  • 24 frets medium jumbo - not massive
  • Real Mother of Pearl dot inlays
  • Hamer Stadium Logo
  • Black Chrome Hardware
  • Original Floyd Rose with arm
  • Hamer Logo’d Schaller Mini Tuners
  • HSS pickup configuration. Hamer Slammer Humbucker in the Bridge Position, and two Hamer Slammer Singles in the middle and neck position
  • 5 way pickup Selector
  • Master Volume and Tone control
  • Dunlop Dual design locking strap buttons (use with or without locks on the strap (handy)
  • Original Hamer Case
  • Weighs a fraction under 8lbs
  • Practically no visible fret wear
  • Wear, chips and scrapes on the finish front and back.
Asking £1,495 delivered (UK) (UPS or DHL insured for the full sale value).

Trades and PX
*Other Hamers (I'd really like a nice SS2),
* An old EBMM Luke 1
* Luke 2 (ideally Sky Blue with nicely figured neck, BFR Black Sugar
* BFR Albert Lee in Electric Shimmer.
* Some kind of Steinberger ideally a GR/GM the guitar shaped models.

Couple of snaps to get started (loads more available).

Thanks very much for looking, and happy to answer any questions about this thing, or any other Hamer trivia

Cheers!
Ben.

PS. I've done one or two deals selling Hamers to other forum members, so if you need a reference, I can hopefully get you one.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
* Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
* Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    Hi Bennyboy - yes, I’ve come across your listings. Wow!!!!!!! Where 1980’s Hamer’s are concerned - this is as good as it gets... that Chaparral Custom just defines an era in guitar and Rock music for me. Better materials and boutique construction quality than almost anything else from that era - hands down.

You could spend a lifetime in guitar collecting and not come across another in that custom finish - not this side of the US of A, anyhow. Surely, the hardcore Hamer USA collectors over at The Hamer Forums are going to lap that one up...!!!!

I will also state that I purchased a Hamer USA guitar from Bennyboy, (way back in about 2008), and he was great to deal with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Is it all stock Benny?
  • Schnozz said:
    Is it all stock Benny?
    All stock apart from the strings (fresh 9-46 Ernie Balls) and the 34 years of accumulated detritus.

The entire guitar has been cleaned and polished, bodywork, fingerboard and frets. 

I can’t stand when you receive a guitar you’ve bought for cash-money and the previous owner couldn't be bothered to put fresh strings on or clean it before selling it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Fuck me that’s brilliant!!!! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    It's always cool to see one of your Hamers!  :)
  • Philly_Q said:
    That’s very kind of you to say. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome!!!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Man that makes me wanna run out and get into my spandex, roll up the sleeves of my suit jacket and get my hair permed and bleached.  Incredible looking artefact!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Am very interested in this. Can't afford this at the moment - just sent off a £12k tax bill, but if this is still around in 2 months I will have it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Am very interested in this. Can't afford this at the moment - just sent off a £12k tax bill, but if this is still around in 2 months I will have it.
    Cool - a man of rare and refined taste. I'm in no hurry at all so thats AOK with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beauty. If this doesn’t get your 80’s on then nothing will. Glwts.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    edited January 2021
    Cheers fellas - The Jim O'Connor connection is pretty cool - there are vanishing few of his painted guitars about, and they don't come up that often for sale.

I've got two at the moment - this one plus another which won't be for sale.

I know one forum member has a Marble painted Steinberger GM - and that thing looks incredible!!!

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Is it not have Gibson scale length neck?  My '86 set neck Chap has 24.75 in but my '90 bolt on Chap has 25.5.  If it does maybe worth mentioning that since you do see people looking for super strats with 24.75 necks.

Great looking guitar and GLWTS
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philly_Q said:
    That’s very kind of you to say. 

I've a fondness for the brand.  My first decent guitar was (still is, just about...) a Hamer Special which was the testbed for all my 1980s pickup and wiring experiments.  Unfortunately I butchered it to fit a Kahler and the finish is in a sorry state.

In total I've owned 7 or 8 Hamers, I never quite got on with the neck profiles and always ended up selling them, but I've always admired their workmanship and liked their designs.  Shame they're not around any more.

So yes, it's always good to see examples from your collection!

• Good point on the scale length!

If your 86 set neck had 3 mini toggles for the pickup selection and a front mounted strat jack plate - I reckon that would have been a gen1 set neck - so normally a 24.75" scale length exactly as you say.

IIRC this one is a Gen 2 set neck - 5 way switch, and edge mounted jack - which I seem to recall is a 25.5" scale length.

You know what... - I'm going to have to measure it to be sure.

There were so many custom ordered features that they accepted from customers that its totally possible that scale lengths can be out of whack with the standard build specs..

Very, very good shout and watch this space...

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Yes mine is 3 toggle switches and front mounted jack. So you are probably right yours is normal strat scale my bad. 
  • Not at all :) - there are no hard and fast rules with these things - and to me this snakey guitar does feel quite Les Pauly in that its quite a meaty thing - and I do remember talking to someone about it and how it feels very slinky and easy to play compared to other Strat scale guitars I've got - and ventured that it might well be a Gibson scale length guitar.

I'm going to have to measure it to be sure as I'd be mad to presume its definitely Fender scale - as they made loads of variations since they started out. 

• Please may I have some pictures of the neck/body join? Also please confirm the scale length. Am wondering if I could run this through my company... :)

Also - close up pictures of any damage would be nice.
    M
  • I really need to stop looking at this.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Please may I have some pictures of the neck/body join? Also please confirm the scale length. Am wondering if I could run this through my company... :)

Also - close up pictures of any damage would be nice.
    M
    Yep, niet problemski - I'll pull the case a bit later and get you what you need. It would be quicker my email if thats OK, rather than upload to photo hosting and do all the linky fun and games - shoot me a message with your contact details and I'll get to it....