Universal Audio guitar pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 334
    shaunm said:
    @HoraceB it doesn’t have tap tempo? Or it doesn’t have the facility for an external one say via a Gigrig atom? 

I am glad it sounds fantastic, I do want to try out the reverb
    Yes it does have tap tempo but no connection for external tap, I like to use two delays and be able to sync them with, but as it stands I think I'll only need the Starlight now. The tap tempo switch doubles as the preset as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cathodynecathodyne Frets: 23
    HoraceB said:
    I went for it and got the Starlight, absolutely love it, can't get a bad sound out of it (apart from my playing!), the delay sounds are truly gorgeous, I literally can't stop playing it. It's moved my Volante off the board and to the classifieds, a very close thing to be fair but the size and ease of use the Starlight has suits me better.
    Thanks Horace, that’s good to know - particularly about the Volante, I definitely want to try a Starlight now.

I have only been wanting to add a couple of tape delay sounds to my board, so not having MIDI oughtn’t be a deal breaker for me, a real EP3 or a Fulltone SSTE wouldn’t have it any way.  Maybe the Starlight will be just what I’m after, but I do agree that for the money we expect more external control (i.e. external tap / expression pedal / midi) and more presets.  I can’t see how this wouldn’t put a lot of folks off - it would be very interesting to hear their thinking behind these choices.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Im super gasing for the Golden reverb...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A second hand HX Stomp gets you the cosmic echo (Roland space echo) which really is amazing, midi, tap tempo, presets and obviously a whole lot more.  I’ve not tried the UAD delay, but can someone tell me it’s really that much better than the stomp?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    John_A said:
    A second hand HX Stomp gets you the cosmic echo (Roland space echo) which really is amazing, midi, tap tempo, presets and obviously a whole lot more.  I’ve not tried the UAD delay, but can someone tell me it’s really that much better than the stomp?
    I like the cosmic echo and many of the delay models in the stomp, but they don’t stop me thinking about standalone delays.  I still miss my memory lane Jr tbh which seemed more interactive than anything on the HX Stomp, although that’s not really a measurable difference.  I guess it’s a feel more than a sound thing sometimes.

Perhaps with a unit like this there are less constraints and compromises with DSP usage etc.  Also the unit can be designed specifically for one effect and be more tailored to that one effect.   But ultimately you would need to try both side by side and see what works best for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 356
    HoraceB said:
    I went for it and got the Starlight, absolutely love it, can't get a bad sound out of it (apart from my playing!), the delay sounds are truly gorgeous, I literally can't stop playing it. It's moved my Volante off the board and to the classifieds, a very close thing to be fair but the size and ease of use the Starlight has suits me better. 

I do have negatives though. Whilst I personally am not so fussed about the lack of midi as I don't use it in my rig (but a lot of people do) but the lack of an expression or external tap tempo is irritating, also just two presets is a bit lame, for the price range it could have had both midi and expression (possibly a LED display too?) this could be a deal breaker for many. But I like the sound so much I'm going to forgive them as if I'm honest when I gig I only ever use a couple of delay sounds anyway. 

I'm after a Tremolo and was going to get a Flint (3rd one!) but after playing this I'm extremely tempted to get the Astra.
    Same here. Starlight has replaced Volante and made me want to get the reverb too!
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 356
    Im super gasing for the Golden reverb...
    Hi waz, I might be able to help you out there...

I was gassing so hard for the GR after getting a Starlight that I scoured the internets looking for one. Got the last one in stock at Studiocare, which DPD appeared to have lost when the tracking didn't update for 4 days after arriving at their hub. 

So I scoured the internets again...and somehow Gear4Music now had one left in stock, having been sold out the last time I checked a couple days prior so I suspected it was a customer return but no, they assured me it was a brand new unit and I grabbed that one. 

Meanwhile, DPD eventually found the other one and delivered it so basically I now have 2 of them, one of which I will be returning unless you'd like to take it off my hands? 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I've got the echo. Fantastic pedal. Reverb arriving tomorrow  
    So impressed with the Starlight I did go for the Astra instead of a Flint. I'm really pleased I did. Again I'm really very impressed, it's incredibly lush sounding, I love it.

These pedals sound fantastic at home and are great for recording with, but I'm interested to see how I get on with them later in the year when I start gigging again, I still wonder if the lack of presets will be an issue for me? There are five different models on the Astra so a minimum of five presets would have been logical instead of two. 

But having said that I think I am going to go for the Reverb too! Will I ever learn!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    edited April 2021
    This reminds me I should watch https://truefire.com/effects-pedals-guitar-lessons/uafx-playbook/c1682 where they dial in 10 guitar tones using the pedals. Tbh I am most interested in the Reverberator pedal...although I obviously don’t need one.

https://youtu.be/bbDi3JFwxQg
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Must.....wait......for......secondhand......ones......don't......buy.....new......

they do all sound great though. Only really interested in the reverb, whihc I absolutely don't need either as I've currently got an RV6, Avalanche Run, Afterneath and Ghost Echo :/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think this will answer everyone's questions:

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    I grabbed the Golden and really like it so far. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    have an Astra arriving tomorrow, quite excited tbh...wanted a trem pedal and now have a phaser and a chorus thrown in
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Awesome! I’m well set for analog modulations after my lockdown spending spree so won’t be getting an Astra but I bet it will be great. Also tempted by the starlight but again I’ve got more than enough delay pedals :sleepy: 
    Just gone for a Golden, GAK have them all for £342.00 atm 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    What’s the real world experience on the spring emu on the GR? My Flint just isn’t cutting it...
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    Ah, I'm going to have to get the reverb.  

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Also interested in how the spring compares to Flint, SA True Spring, etc
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I just wondered if any of the owners of the reverb have had any more thoughts on this now you’ve had time to live with it?