Universal Audio guitar pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    shaunm said:
    I just wondered if any of the owners of the reverb have had any more thoughts on this now you’ve had time to live with it?
    I must be in the minority Shaun...

I love the effects on the OX, but I was a little underwhelmed with the Golden. I just thought is sounded 'ok'.
    Maybe I had a defective unit ???

Anyway, I've had a bit of a reverb fight off in the last few months, including the Chase Bliss CXM 1978...

I've gone back to my old favourite - the Neunaber Immerse MKii.

It just sounds and feels great to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Hi @Wazmeister ;

Ah that is interesting. I did wonder if it could live up to the studio gear in a live situation. Their studio stuff being so great. 

I am tempted to try one but I have a sneaking suspicion that it won’t kick the GFI Specular Tempus off my board through functionality alone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    shaunm said:
    I just wondered if any of the owners of the reverb have had any more thoughts on this now you’ve had time to live with it?

I love the effects on the OX, but I was a little underwhelmed with the Golden. I just thought is sounded 'ok'.

Anyway, I've had a bit of a reverb fight off in the last few months, including the Chase Bliss CXM 1978...

Hi @Wazmeister ;

Do you use the spring emu on the Neunaber? I ask as I had 10 mins on the GR which wasn't long enough in honesty but I was pushed for time. I thought it may be a contender subject to more messing.. I'm most interested in how good the spring is (I've gone through most of the real and emulation pedals and currently have a Flint which is only on the board due to the Trem and no viable alternatives...)

Si
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    shaunm said:

Hi @Wazmeister ;

Do you use the spring emu on the Neunaber? I ask as I had 10 mins on the GR which wasn't long enough in honesty but I was pushed for time. I thought it may be a contender subject to more messing.. I'm most interested in how good the spring is (I've gone through most of the real and emulation pedals and currently have a Flint which is only on the board due to the Trem and no viable alternatives...)

Si
    Hi Si,

Well, I am not a massive spring verb fan to be honest; I tend to use hall or (more often) plate. 

But I cannot find a bad setting in the Neunaber.

To be fair, I've also got the Dark World, which is also very good. This seems to work well live with the band...
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    Thanks mate.  I'll keep digging :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Pffttt....I can buy a 1/3 of a rehoused Boss DD2 for the price of these.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited May 2021
    Gassage said:
    Pffttt....I can buy a 1/3 of a rehoused Boss DD2 for the price of these.
    Rehoused in what, platinum and diamonds?? Oh, Cornish, right...
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    I have the Golden and I need to spend more time with it I think. It hasn’t blown me away but it would be unfair to rule it out. 

Like @Wazmeister i have been using the Immerse MKII and I find that great just to set and forget on the Wet algorithm. I sort of actually do forget it’s even on but when I turn it off it leaves an enormous emptiness in my soul. 
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 93
    shaunm said:
    @HoraceB it doesn’t have tap tempo? Or it doesn’t have the facility for an external one say via a Gigrig atom? 

I am glad it sounds fantastic, I do want to try out the reverb

I have the Golden Reverberator. Utterly magical. Booted my beloved Neunaber Immerse II off my 'board' (I don't actually have a board - my pedals sit on my guitar case at the mo!). The UA is not as versatile as the Immerse - the Neunaber does more types of reverbs. The UA is effectively 3 reverbs: spring, plate, hall, with the ability to select 3 different variations of each, and a couple of extra d/l'able from UA (another plate, a chamber-room type), but it *is* more tweakable within the reverbs you have than the Neunaber.

But, and here's the but: the UA sounds unbelievable. I thought the Neunaber was ace - and it is! But UA have really modelled the shit out of the sources. The plate really has that low-end thump of sound hitting a big ol' sheet of metal. The springs really twang and snap like a Fender reveb unit - even more realistically modelled than the Source Audio True Spring. The hall is - according to UA - a bit-for-bit re-creation of the classic Lex 224.

The best thing about it all - it's the most responsive digital reverb I've ever heard. It *feels* liek you're playing a spring reverb. The springs twang harder as you play harder; the plate hits harder with your dynamics.

It's an utter box of magic. Expensive but no regrets. The only real prob is the power consumption: if you don't have a >=450mA 9v port you won't get it it work. And UA don't supply a PSU - whihc is a bit shitty given that it's not that easy to power. I had to buy a whole new PSU as my existing one only went as high as 300mA per port.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128

Should I buy a £1000 tape echo and a £600+ notoriously breaky vintage analogue delay or the new UA pedal?

Yeah, that's the dilemma we're all facing, isn't it?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I’m a bit in love with that delay. I have too many delays, but it sounds great. 

I also take Mick’s criticism that it can’t be toned down as a positive thing, as he seems to prefer delays more as a pad than a feature, while I’m from the “Edge school”, which this seems perfect for. 

And it’s purty lookin’ 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DoveholesDoveholes Frets: 135
    Astra owners - how are you finding the Phaser X90 and doubling sounds? I love my Golden Reverberator and am considering picking up the Astra to condense a couple of pedals and hopefully bump a Keeley 30ms Double Tracker and Phase 90 off my board. The other algorithms would be an added bonus for recording.

I use the 30ms mostly as a slapback lead tone.

• The UA sounds really tame in that TPS video above; especially the self oscillation.

Bye!

• I poured over videos of the Starlight today coz obviously I'm a delay slag, and I want to like it, but I just don't think I do.

I think the Volante sounds infinitely better for tape delays, and the DMM mode can be found in a dozen other delays to a similar degree of control and authenticity, and digital modes are a dime a dozen.

I don't really see the USP.

Bye!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I poured over videos of the Starlight today coz obviously I'm a delay slag, and I want to like it, but I just don't think I do.

I think the Volante sounds infinitely better for tape delays, and the DMM mode can be found in a dozen other delays to a similar degree of control and authenticity, and digital modes are a dime a dozen.

It's fancy looking.... That sells to the instagram crowd. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yeah, they're good looking for sure. And much more pedalboard friendly than a lot of the other big-boy options out there. It might be just one of those things where I need to try one for myself to really find out. Can't trust most of these bozo's on Youtube. They don't know tone for toffee, and I do!!!

:lol:

Bye!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I poured over videos of the Starlight today coz obviously I'm a delay slag, and I want to like it, but I just don't think I do.

Agree, not sure what they’re aiming for, there’s a crowd that don’t mind not having midi but are pretty sensitive to analog path surrounding the delay line, I.e preamps, feedback etc can all be analog, then there’s those who do all but the dry through in the digital domain (ala Strymon), both seem better at what they do than this.

• I'm sorta getting it now. I think I might get one to try for a week or so, and see how I get on.

Bye!

• pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Still feeling pretty underwhelmed by the Golden. Might knock together a wet dry set up to see if I can see what the fuss is about.