Project disbands - can I carry it on? is that ethical?

What's Hot
johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
So I was doing vocals and lyrics on an album project with a bit of a krautrock flavour. 2 other guys, one played and recorded every musical part and the othet put it together, edited and mixed it. Both very talented guys who have been working together for years. Things were going well working on tracks, they really liked what I was doing and vice verca. Then out of the blue the music maestro decided he wanted to scrap the lot and do something else. The mixer guy was pretty pissed about it, apparently not the first time the other guy had done this, but hed invested loads of time in this one and it was really sounding promising. The other two have sort of fallen out and im left hanging. I have great faith in the work, is it ethical for me to finish it off. Really for myself but hey if it made any cash id see them right of course but its not exactly commercial music. Opinions and experiences would be much appreciated. Cheers
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    Just ask them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Who owns the work done so far?

Do you have any formal agreement in writing?

Copy-write issues?

Id suggest you get agreement from the other 2 before you do anything further.

• johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    Its complicated to ask. The one guy is pretty much a recluse, difficult past blah blah. The mixer guy was his spokesman and I think he wants nothing more to do with it as he feels let down. In terms of ownership there is nothing formal but we all have a writing and performing stake in it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    If one guy wants to carry on then the two of you should finish it together -  tell him about it and offer him the chance to be involved but if he doesn't want to, then it's his loss I say.   Just make sure to credit him for what he has contributed so far etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yesh id make sure everyone was credited definitely. The music is pretty much complete I would just finish my vocals
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Just do it. He dumped it, fuck him.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    If I throw away a winning lottery ticket because I thought it lost and you find it and win. How would you feel? 

Chuffed I'd say. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    MDKV;297715" said:
    Just ask them. 
    Word. Fwiw, I've walked from a few promising projects. I couldn't give a shit what people do with it once I'm gone. I'd rather see people finish things rather than leave scraps of tunes. Even if I'm the reason they're scraps. Or crap, in a lot of my cases!

Sorry for posting this in the wrong section, ham fisted phone typing!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    It is probably not unethical enough for you to succeed in the music industry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Good point
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    If nothings formal, go for it.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Doesn't sound like the reclusive one will respond to any sort of request, so perhaps think about writing to him in the form of a notification rather than a request for consent. "sorry the project stalled.......enjoyed working with you.....I believe in what we did.......so I am planning on running with it alone...will obviously credit you for all contributions....hope that's ok.....if I don't hear from you in [7] days I will assume you're cool with it.....love and kisses." Doing this will help protect you against any allegation of theft, etc in future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom