Office chairs for home

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
I currently have a rather plush office chair I was given but its at the maximum hieght and has an awesome recline feature.  However, Im not sure its giving me the best support etc. Any suggestions for chair I can use which is adjustable and has no arms/arms which move out of the way for guitar practise? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    It's the arms that are the problem.  I've got an Ikea one that isn't great, but it works without the arms.  Someone gave us a much better one, but the arms get in the way when playing guitar, so my daughter is using it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22703

There was a thread about office chairs in the early months of lockdown last year:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2630238/#Comment_2630238

I looked into it a little and I'm still thinking about buying a better one at some point, but it's potentially a lot of money to spend on something you can't really try out - or get used to - first.

Most of them have removable arms, or can be ordered without them in the first place.  There might even be some with arms which can be swung out of the way, I can't remember.

• Try this place. There are a quite a few offices offloading stuff as they're closing and sending the workforce home. Pretty decent office stuff, reconditioned:

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I got this from Wayfair last year.  I specifically wanted flip up arms as it was to be my office and guitar chair.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp/zipcode-design-emmaleigh-mesh-desk-chair-hvo74543.html

It's certainly not a Herman Miller but it's a pretty good cheapish chair.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited January 2021
    Herman Miller Mirra I got one from Ebay years ago, I think it was a clearance job, about 1/2 retail price, still expensive but well worth it, I would have gone through 2 or 3 Argos specials in that time

Sorry - I see you don't need arms. Ignore...

Try the Herman Miller Aeron

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696

For a £1000? Ill hard pass on that thanks lol
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    `This is what I posted in the other thread....

I have an Orangebox Eva...

great chair, you can get it BTO with various options.
    One of the things I like about it, is you can rotate the arms out of the way for guitar playing, the Aeron doesn't allow for this.

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Good tip on used commercial office places, they  are well worth a look. I bought a pair of Herman miller Aeron seats, really comfortable for long sessions at work. The arms on mine are detachable. They were new unused still with wrapping and i think only 250 each, i was buying two desks and two chairs. After at least ten hours use per day they are still immaculate. Worth investing in good kit as it lasts far longer than ikea crap
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    bit of a necro bump on this, looking at something as it pay day tomorrow.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I use one of these.  Arms go up for guitar playing. Very comfy.   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C2S9LFM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_SDN0TZ8S9BX93YHWKJ8R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087

• jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Jetfire said:

I picked up an Aeron from eBay several years back for under £250, from a place that was clearing out offices - they had dozens of them. It was also cheaper than the rest because I specifically didn’t want arms (it’s my studio chair). Given the hours I’ve spent in it since I’d consider it a great purchase...would never have paid RRP obviously, but the price I paid was better than the most chairs I found in Staples, Costco etc. If you can find one they’re great chairs.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Yes Herman Miller chairs are expensive but there are some refurb or clearance stock deals to be had if you can find them. Buying cheap chairs is a short term false economy. Over 10 years you will spend as much replacing them when the Herman Miller will endure. We still have some HM chairs that are 18 years old at work.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    Jetfire said:

I have an Aeron - bought it many years ago s/h.

One arm has come off, but actually that helps me get onto it in my narrow room.

I've never once thought I made the wrong choice, nor considered replacing it with anything else.

There's also plenty of spare parts available.