12 Fretter....

What's Hot
I'm keen for a good quality 0 or 00 size 12 Fretter...... 1 3/4 or 1 13/16 nut width and 2 3/8 string spacing at bridge. Anybody got any suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    How much you wanna spend?
    There’s at least one 000-28vs and one 00-28vs on the open market right now. Pretty much case closed if 2.5-3k is your budget 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    If your budget runs to it, try a Larrivee parlour. I've got a P-09, lovely little thing.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    A Waterloo WLS, WLS Delux or WLK if you can find one.
    1 3/4 nut and 2 3/8 string spacing. 

Those Martin 0 and 00-28 vs’s do look nice though I’d love to try one sometime.
  • Andy79 said:
    around 2K would be ok... as for the Martins, i think i prefer mahogany over rosewood...would definately need to play before making a decision, and thats kinda difficult at the moment

Gandalph said:

Yes, i have been keeping my eye out for a Waterloo for a while.....kinda given up,..thats really the reason for this query..
    edited January 2021
    Andy79 said:
    around 2K would be ok... as for the Martins, i think i prefer mahogany over rosewood...would definately need to play before making a decision, and thats kinda difficult at the moment

Gandalph said:

Yes, i have been keeping my eye out for a Waterloo for a while.....kinda given up,..thats really the reason for this query..
    Yes mine took some finding thb!

How about one of those Taylor 12 fretters...322 or 522. They look pretty good (for a Taylor )

Not sure on the spring spacing though.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    rogd said:
    If your budget runs to it, try a Larrivee parlour. I've got a P-09, lovely little thing.
    I can't imagine how great that must be. I have a P-01 and it's really lovely. 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    I recently picked up a used Eastman OO-sized 12 fretter, 1 3/4" nut but not sure of string spacing at the bridge. Mine's the all-mahogany model and I've been impressed with the sound and playability. TBH it was the mahogany I was after, rather than the 12 fret neck but I thought I'd take a chance on it.

Might be worth checking out their models. The 12 fret necks seem to often be special editions or short runs but they chop and change models so often that you just have to check out the current catalogue (or buy a used one). 
  • Basher said:
    I recently picked up a used Eastman OO-sized 12 fretter, 1 3/4" nut but not sure of string spacing at the bridge. Mine's the all-mahogany model and I've been impressed with the sound and playability. TBH it was the mahogany I was after, rather than the 12 fret neck but I thought I'd take a chance on it.

Might be worth checking out their models. The 12 fret necks seem to often be special editions or short runs but they chop and change models so often that you just have to check out the current catalogue (or buy a used one). 
    Will check them out. Thank-you. 
    There’s also the Martin 00-15sm, seen a couple around lately. Trouble is the Sigma version is nearly as good and £1100 cheaper. Maybe the Sigma should be considered. Don’t be scared of cheap guitars if the quality is there. And if mahogany top could be an issue then bronze strings will sort that out

I need you stop looking for a Waterloo, it may raise my chances of finding one to above zero. COVID has seen all Waterloo guitars run for peoples wall hangers and remain there 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79 said:
    There’s also the Martin 00-15sm, seen a couple around lately. Trouble is the Sigma version is nearly as good and £1100 cheaper. Maybe the Sigma should be considered. Don’t be scared of cheap guitars if the quality is there. And if mahogany top could be an issue then bronze strings will sort that out

I need you stop looking for a Waterloo, it may raise my chances of finding one to above zero. COVID has seen all Waterloo guitars run for peoples wall hangers and remain there 
    I'm sure Martin/Sigma 00015sm are great, but pretty sure they are just 2 1/4 Bridge spacing..... Not enough room for me really.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Martin 00-17S - outstanding guitars 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited January 2021
    Andy79 said:

I'm sure Martin/Sigma 00015sm are great, but pretty sure they are just 2 1/4 Bridge spacing..... Not enough room for me really.

The 00 I had was 2 3/8

TimmyO said:
    Martin 00-17S - outstanding guitars 
    There we go, forgot all about that. I adore the 17 series 

isn’t there one here in the classifieds?
  • Andy79 said:

Don't give up @Andy79. I took delivery of a WL-14 LTR today, ending my year-long search. Found it on FB Marketplace, of all places.

+1 for the WL-K @McSwaggerty. It's a featherweight beast. Guitarguitar have the the WL-12 new, if you're feeling flush.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Andy79 said:

Don't give up @Andy79. I took delivery of a WL-14 LTR today, ending my year-long search. Found it on FB Marketplace, of all places.

+1 for the WL-K @McSwaggerty. It's a featherweight beast. Guitarguitar have the the WL-12 new, if you're feeling flush.

May wanna grab that soon as apparently there’s been a £300 price rise on Waterloos... 
    edited January 2021

Hey Trevor, nice score you finally got one! 
    I hope it was worth the wait. 
  • This looks very reasonable and Guild produce excellent guitars. It also reviews well apart from a slightly thick neck.

• BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    Collings do very nice 12 fretters in 00 and 000 size.
    1 13/16 at the nut and 2 5/6 at the bridge. 
    I own a 0002h which is rosewood but they also do them in mahogany. Great guitars, pretty much a do everything guitar. Probably not gonna find one for under £3k used though 

I know Eastman make a version of it too... not sure if they just do rosewood ones though... 

Coda have a lovely bourgeois 12 fretter, hog back and sides in at the moment... pricey, but guaranteed to be brilliant. 

Since Martin discontinued their 00028vs and 0028vs prices seem to be rising too... a couple of years ago you could find them for about £2k but I dunno what they go for these days.

Santa Cruz also do some nice 12 fretters... but they don’t come cheap!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Vintage and rare in Bath has a Huss Dalton 000 12. Nice
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    They also have a very nice 1929 000-28

for £20k!