Playing outside with Sco

BradBrad Frets: 658
For anyone interested in this kind of thing, I transcribed a John Scofield solo to Soundslice. 

It’s mostly A Dorian but there are a couple of chords I want to be sure of first, then I might add some analysis as there is some cool melodic minor/outside stuff going on... 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Brad said:
    For anyone interested in this kind of thing, I transcribed a John Scofield solo to Soundslice. 

It’s mostly A Dorian but there are a couple of chords I want to be sure of first, then I might add some analysis as there is some cool melodic minor/outside stuff going on... 

Very cool ....love that sound 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very impressive.

It's not a competition.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited February 2021
    Thanks @Barney same here, I love the way he get's outside!

Cheers @stratman3142 this was tricky to get down as Sco's phrasing is really something, particularly at this tempo!
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Excellent
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Excellent
    Cheers @viz ;
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 443
    Thanks for this, very cool. I'd love to pinch some lines from that but it will end up 100001st on my todo list and so will probably never happen :D
    wizbit81 said:
    Thanks for this, very cool. I'd love to pinch some lines from that but it will end up 100001st on my todo list and so will probably never happen :D
    You’re welcome :smile: same here, need to get some of them back under the fingers!
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 180
    Brad said:

Just come across this. Great work Brad!

Just out of interest, looking at bars 5,6,7 where you've got that mostly 16th note outsidey bit. What do you chaps reckon he is thinking here? We are in A Dorian.
    To me it mostly seems like he is side slipping and thinking Ab Dorian to create these line before resolving back to A Dorian. 

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
    kelpbeds said:
    Just come across this. Great work Brad!

Just out of interest, looking at bars 5,6,7 where you've got that mostly 16th note outsidey bit. What do you chaps reckon he is thinking here? We are in A Dorian.
    To me it mostly seems like he is side slipping and thinking Ab Dorian to create these line before resolving back to A Dorian. 

Thanks!

Yeah I think that’s probably what he’s thinking. Sets it up with a bit of A melodic minor, side slips to Ab Dorian then back into A Dorian or Pentatonic to end the line as you say. Seems quite a feature of 80s era Sco. 
    Cheers, it's very nicely excecuted, Side slipping I find easy in theory but hard to get it sounding right in practice. Not as simple as it sounds!
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    edited June 2021
    I thought you were playing outside in the garden.  Social distancing and all that.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited June 2021
    Slips up a semitone into A# minor, you mean?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    kelpbeds said:
    Cheers, it's very nicely excecuted, Side slipping I find easy in theory but hard to get it sounding right in practice. Not as simple as it sounds!
    Without a doubt, there’s a lot more to it to get it sounding good! It could also be seen as playing a Dbmaj7 idea too…

viz said:
    ???
    Brad said:
    kelpbeds said:
    Without a doubt, there’s a lot more to it to get it sounding good! It could also be seen as playing a Dbmaj7 idea too…

viz said:
    ???
    That’s what the notes do in my brain. 
    viz said:
    Doesn't it slip down to Abm? For example. If you look in bar 6 it looks like notes from Ab Dorian to me. Apart from the C note in there which isn't in Abm but I guess is the 9 in A#m.  But there is an F# in that phrase which is in Abm but not A#. Which makes me think it's more like Abm even though Abm and A#m actually share a few notes.
    And positionally it slides down although I realise that doesn't necessarily mean it's gone to Abm.
    What do you think? 
    edited June 2021
    kelpbeds said:
    viz said:
    Doesn't it slip down to Abm? For example. If you look in bar 6 it looks like notes from Ab Dorian to me. Apart from the C note in there which isn't in Abm but I guess is the 9 in A#m.  But there is an F# in that phrase which is in Abm but not A#. Which makes me think it's more like Abm even though Abm and A#m actually share a few notes.
    And positionally it slides down although I realise that doesn't necessarily mean it's gone to Abm.
    What do you think? 
    Well the F# is in A# minor if not in A# dorian. Basically, musically I hear it as a brief (very brief!) semitone-up-and -back-down modulation. But mathematically it could be Ab. I just don’t hear it that way
    viz said:
    kelpbeds said:
    viz said:
    What do you think? 
    Well the F# is in A# minor if not in A# dorian. Basically, musically I hear it as a brief (very brief!) semitone-up-and -back-down modulation. But mathematically it could be Ab. I just don’t hear it that way
    OK interesting. I guess I just saw it a bit more visually and then took it from there but listening to it I see what you mean. 
    Tell you what though, that little double-stopped slide up the neck later on is stunning. 
    @viz ahhh I get where you're coming from now! Makes complete sense... I guess it's a little like a musical equivalent of solving a cold case - what was the soloist thinking at that time? With only the notes to go on, (I need to fix the notation actually...) playing them in different places can give a differing perspective to the intent. All are plausible answers to Sco's motives in his note choice. which only he knows. :smile:
    Brad said:
    @viz ahhh I get where you're coming from now! Makes complete sense... I guess it's a little like a musical equivalent of solving a cold case - what was the soloist thinking at that time? With only the notes to go on, (I need to fix the notation actually...) playing them in different places can give a differing perspective to the intent. All are plausible answers to Sco's motives in his note choice. which only he knows. :smile:
    Yep, nice analogy. And even sometimes music comes across to a listener in a way the composer didn’t intend, and that’s valid too, right?