East Anglian GearFest **30Aug or 6SEPT ??**

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    ESBlonde said:
    I could be interested, I have a PA too. I shall enquire at a couple of venues. If offereing an evening band is on the cards that opens some more doors.
    Did you manage to find anything @ESBlonde?

The Cedars in Stow promises a function room and PA ....
    Sounds like a winner. 

The drummer and bass player in my band are up for coming and playing (though the drummer will want any other drummers who want to play to bring their own cymbals/snare if he has to provide the kit).
    If we have a new singer by then I could probably do a few full band songs as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    TTony said:
    ESBlonde said:
    I could be interested, I have a PA too. I shall enquire at a couple of venues. If offereing an evening band is on the cards that opens some more doors.
    Did you manage to find anything @ESBlonde?

The Cedars in Stow promises a function room and PA ....
    Sounds like a winner. 

The drummer and bass player in my band are up for coming and playing (though the drummer will want any other drummers who want to play to bring their own cymbals/snare if he has to provide the kit).
    If we have a new singer by then I could probably do a few full band songs as well.
    I'll drop in at the Cedars and have a chat next week.

Problem might be fitting in around weddings ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    I'll be really keen to attend if its in or near stowmarket. :-) the last one was great.
    I'm hoping to get time to drop into the Cedars on Thursday, but any suggestions of other venues would be gratefully received.

If we can find somewhere to host it (and perhaps we were spoiled with the Magpie's facilities last time), then I'm more than happy to do some organising ...

@ESBlonde - did you get chance to enquire at the couple of venues??
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

The other end of the Cambridge metropolis but maybe Melbourn Rock Club at Meldreth, it's based in the sports & social club. Mo is the organiser, the has an FB page for it and a website. Praps hard to get a Sat being it's the sports club, but Mo will say. He's a top bloke.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    TTony said:

@ESBlonde - did you get chance to enquire at the couple of venues??
    Not yet, been in pre holibobs OMG headless chicken mode for a couple of weeks. I shall do better soon. The Ceders is a good call as they have no near neighbours.

Dropped into the Cedars earlier.

They've got a room (large) that we could use and a PA (un-inspected).  Plenty of parking right by the room too, so no worries about getting gear in and out.  Though there might have been a step, so anyone ( @Phil_aka_Pip ) with a weightly AC30 might struggle.  We could probably partly divide the room, so could have one section for making loud noises, and another for people talking about stuff.

;)

It's handy, just off the A14 at Stowmarket, easy to find, walking distance of the railway station too if that's you preferred mode of transport.

But they'd want £125 for 3pm-9pm - so I'd guess that we'd be talking c£10/head.  In fact, let's say £10/hd - I'll cover the extra if we don't get the full 12.5 people signing up.

It's available on 30th Aug, 6th Sept, and a few weeks after that too, although they'd only release the first couple of dates to us in case they got a booking for a (far more lucrative) wedding reception.  Obviously if they don't get the wedding bookings, then we could pick up a later date if that would suit more people, but can't guarantee that as of now.

Bar & food on-site, though slightly more pricey than the Magpie was.

Thoughts?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Nice one @TTony, it seems OK (step excluded) with me. I haven't yet found a good time to ask Nigel at The Cock in Stanton, every time I've seen him he's been hassled about something and its not been a good time to ask. Will continue to wait for a good time if you want me to.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    That sounds great. 

I'm up for either date and happy to pitch a few quid in and provide a few bits like a bass amp etc.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited July 2014

I'm free on both dates.

You poor, poor blokes

I can bring

a guitar amp

a Guitar

a shitload of pedals

@MattG I'll bring the EVH wah you wanted to try.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I'm out until end of September - too many gigs!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209

TTony said:
    It's available on 30th Aug, 6th Sept, and a few weeks after that too, although they'd only release the first couple of dates to us in case they got a booking for a (far more lucrative) wedding reception.  Obviously if they don't get the wedding bookings, then we could pick up a later date if that would suit more people, but can't guarantee that as of now.
    Sounds great and Stow is very handy for me but can't make the 30th August as I'll still be on the Isle of Wight. It's very unlikely that Mrs F will allow me to shorten the hols so fingers crossed for the 6th September.

I can bring............err...........@handsomerik!
    Link to my trading feedback
    I'm thinking that we should go for 6th Sept as fewer people are likely to be away.
    bigjon said:
    Hey Jon - that's a shame - would have been excellent if you could have joined us over here.

Unfortunately, we can't book the venue that far ahead, and if we leave it until a couple of weeks beforehand (which we'd need to do) there's a real risk / likelihood that others wouldn't be able to make it.

:(

If you get a space in your calendar, you'd be very welcome.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    TTony said:
    bigjon said:
    Hey Jon - that's a shame - would have been excellent if you could have joined us over here.

Unfortunately, we can't book the venue that far ahead, and if we leave it until a couple of weeks beforehand (which we'd need to do) there's a real risk / likelihood that others wouldn't be able to make it.

:(

If you get a space in your calendar, you'd be very welcome.
    One of the too many gigs is on 6th September!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Damn, was hoping to hear the famous BJ version of Jump. Though I'm also not going to be available anyway - possibly gonna be gigging on the Isle of Wight!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Got a gig on the 6th, bugger.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Got a gig on the 6th, bugger.
    A gig is an honourable reason to be absent from GearFest :) Would that we were all out gigging.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    What's the location?
    What's the location?
    Provided we get enough people ... the Cedars Hotel in Stowmarket.  It's just off the A14, midway between Ipswich & Bury St Edmunds.